Thursday, March 08, 2007

Farewell Victoria

It must have been around last Tuesday, 20 kilometres ago, when I passed over the Murray river and entered the state of New South Wales on my road form Melbourne to Rockhampton.

I was expecting a bit more fanfare and fireworks at the time but I was unaware that I had made that milestone

It was only today when I was calculating my total km's on mapmyrun.com when I noticed that not only had I passed through the border town of Albury-Wodonga, I was actually about 20 kilometres down the road and at the northern most point of Lake Hume.

Run for the Kids

My t-shirt and race pack finally arrived for the Run for the Kids held on the 1st of April.

The t-shirt is a Nike Coolmax and as you can see a lovely shade of green.

It clashes horribly with my yellow/blue Coolrunning hat but running isn't always about the fashion??

I have worn it twice while training to run it in (ever mindful of the bloody nipple fiasco at the Melbourne Marathon 06) and now will tuck it away in the draw for race day.

For my first time ever I have earned a preferred start and am Blue 2390.

There doesn't seem to be much checking with who gets the preferred start. Just about anyone can claim to run 10km in less than 50 minutes but I can honestly say that I had worked hard for mine.

The sub 50 minute 10km run had been a goal of mine since I ran the R4TK's in 2006 and I'm proud to say I made it at The Olympic Dream November 2006.

Now just have to wait impatiently for the big event to come around.

12 Comments:

Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

oooh. a green one :D i like green. and wow sub 50 for a 10k. seriously impressive stuff!! i think my 10k is about 1hr30 hehe. with some walking. :D

ah well i shall be taing my running gear with me to the stud

6:34 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

No fanfare in NSW ... I'm not surprised. They are cockroaches after all. Wait'll you get to Qld - the canetoads will be out in force! BTW, what unpleasant creature are Victorians referred to as?

Congrats on the preferred start!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Simlin said...

OH, YEAH...preferred start baby!

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, that is a bright shade of green!

I didn't realise you were about to leave Vic, I would have organised some Fireworks or something LOL

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on earning a blue zone number. I'll see you at the start.

9:22 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Tesso they are referred to as Victorians :-)

Not easy being green Sparks - but it does look good - congrats on the preferred start.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Well done on escaping Victoria SD. Much nicer runners (and truck drivers) up here! And I won't start to mention the weather ;)

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting over the border. Now you're a Mexican.

Look after your nipples. Anything over 40 mins & it's coolmax for me.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

"It's not easy being greeeeen"

I think it'll look excellent with the CR cap!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hey Spark Driver

You're really getting around Australia. Funny you should mention "the bloody nipple fiasco"
during the Melbourne marathon cause if my Australian history is not mistaken there was also a "bloody nipple fiasco" in the early 19th Century in the Northern Rivers District ;) Anyways you can check that when you get there.

11:43 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

"There doesn't seem to be much checking with who gets the preferred start. Just about anyone can claim to run 10km in less than 50 minutes but I can honestly say that I had worked hard for mine."

So you can be sure that there will be plenty of "undeserving" runners in there. Might pay to try and get nearer to the front just in case.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

We'll have to start calling you Kermie in a shirt like that SD!

Look forward to hearing how you go on April 1st.

MAR.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home