Saturday, February 24, 2007

Rubbing a hole through my ankle.

Since my last post I have had a good four days of running and have travelled 47 kilometres.

I am currently just past Wangaratta on my road from Melbourne to Rockhampton.

Wangaratta is a large country city with a population of approximately 27,000. It is officially titled "Australia's Capital of Jazz" due to the incredibly successful Wangaratta Festival of Jazz and Blues held annually in November.

My new running plan that I am trying to follow is a little different to most. I'm trying to get 5 days of running from Monday to Friday and leave my weekends for rest. Over the weekend I have found myself to be too busy to get a run in and I am often feeling disappointed Sunday evening.

So far the plan has worked a treat with a combination of "after school drop off" runs and early, 6am running.

I am still having a few hassles with my new Kayanos determined to rub a hole through my left ankle.

Band-aids just seem to rub off and liberal amounts of Sports Shield only seem to last temporarily.

The problem seems to be with the new Kayanos. Around the top of the shoe that makes contact with my left ankle they have a mesh sort of lining that just seems to rub the wrong way. The Kayanos 12 didn't have this mesh, just black fabric lining that didn't give any trouble at all.

Any advice or ideas with this problem would be appreciated.

11 Comments:

Blogger Samurai Running said...

Do you remember "Zola Budd" Spark Driver? Why don't you try a bit of that?

4:36 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I had to Google "Zola Budd" to see what it was.

After paying over $200 for a pair of Asics I wont be going barefoot anytime soon! Hehe.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

lol. i had to google zola budd too and thats so cool. its actually very normal to be cruising around town and see people going about barefoot. (people who can afford shoes) we africans just prefer to go with out them. maybe its a mindset :D

no way i would run barefoot in the uk. people spit all over the sidewalk. *cringe* its fairly disgusting

as for the rubbing i know i use a spoon handle to work at the insides of leather shoes which rub me. it may help soften the mesh?

7:35 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I'd be taking the bloody things back! Very annoying when shoe companies make 'improvements' to a loved model.

You could take to them with a knife. I've cut holes in shoes before to stop rubbing. Or perhaps some heavier duty tape on your ankle.

By the way, Wang is a lovely town :)

11:28 AM  
Blogger Simlin said...

Nice plan there SprarkD

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I purchased a new pair or Kayano's last week. They had the 12's on special and also the 13's. Whether the 12's were on special or not I would have got the 12's anyway. They've served me well so far. My new 12's haven't caused me any problems.

3:35 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Hmm can't help with the kayanos I'm afraid but some of the best vision you will ever see in a race was a diminutive bare footed Zola colliding with a whinging (huge by comparison) Mary Decker and Decker coming off 2nd best.

Hope the weekday plan works.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Gee, all these people not knowing who Zola Budd was makes me feel old. Then again, not old enough to not remember if you know what I mean ;-)

So annoying about the shoes, why the heck do they have to make 'improvments' all the time. I'm happy if they just change the colour so you can tell them apart.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Maybe buy another (different brand) pair and use those ones for every second or third run only?

12:40 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

that's a pain! I'd be thinking about taking them back (depends where you got them though)

The only thing with 5 runs in a row is being careful not to get injured, but you knew that, you marathoner you

9:17 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Very annoying indeed! I'm with Tesso on the improvements - change the colour, leave the rest well enough alone! Do a Ewen, cut holes in em!

Interested to see how the new plan works out.

MAR.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home