Thursday, February 08, 2007

Changing of the Guard


Yesterday I bought my third pair of Asics Kayanos.

The new, blue ones were bought from Action World in Fountain Gate Narre Warren after a quick, three shop price compassion. Another shop could match Action World but didn't offer a free pair of socks.

The research and purchase only took me 15 minutes, the fastest time buying runners so far.

Kayanos II will be retired to domestic duties. They were my first strictly running only shoes and served me well for 940kms.
During that time they ran in a 30km Sri Chinmoy event, ran 34km from Geelong to Queenscliff, completed the Melbourne Marathon and survived growing a Mo in Movember.

I know that we are supposed to break in new runners but this morning I couldn't help myself. I took the sparkly new Kayano's for a 10km spin around the suburb. I completed the distance in 0:51:53.

After two weeks off I had my first shift back at work last night. Everything went well and I would once again like to thank everyone for their great support.

12 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Wow - 940k!!! I only ever manage about 300k - I'm really hard on shoes.

And I would consider a 10k run a perfect way to start breaking them in - feels great dunnit ;-)

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh I love getting new trainers. Just waiting for my new Hurricane Grids to arrive from the US.

Of course they'll go into hiding for about 6 months until they're needed - and when Hubby asks I can tell him that I've had them for ages!!

2:45 PM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

Your old sneakers are so clean still! I manage about 500km and then I need new ones but only because I get bored with the colour!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

They should get you up to Queensland at least.

That's a lot of kilometres out of a pair of shoes - I'd be feeling every grain of sand, let alone small pebbles.

Re the Gatorade - probably a bit less fat than hash browns :)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Great to hear that you are back at work now Sparkles :-)

Nice new wheels! Very clean - won't take long to get those muddy (if it ever rains). I'm not sure about all this breaking in stuff. I thought that if they were the right shoes you should be able to just get out in them. Most of my new wheels have been out for decent mileage first runs

4:54 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Love the history tidbits SD! Go Ned! And is "Red Kelly" for real!?!? :-) Ha ha!

Nice new shoes - always a good feeling. I can comfortably get about 800kms out of my Nikes.

About a year ago I was buying Powerade in bulk and taking a bottle to work everyday as well as having a couple a day on weekends after longer runs. It wasn't until I started putting on weight that I read the bottle! Still, if you're burning enough of it off, does it really matter?!?

MAR.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You certainly packed quite a few k's into those runner's. I'm at 700 and due a new pair.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Noice :-) Speaking of noice it was only recently I found out that Fountain Gate was real!

Glad to hear all went well back at work.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Simlin said...

2p must go through a pair of shoes a month? great to here you are back at work.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are back at work.

I never bother breaking in new runners, they are good to go out of the box as far as I am concerned. I've done more than one long run in new shoes.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

It's always fun to get new stuff.

Pat
Arizona, USA

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you rotating running shoes ..... and for god's sake - get them dirty - they are way to clean .... :-)

Eat Em

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home