Sunday, July 23, 2006

30km Sri Chinmoy

Well against good judgment I decided to compete in the 30km Sri Chinmoy at Princess Park this morning.

I woke bright and early with my knee still a bit swollen and sore. Made a couple pieces of toast then picked up my friend Salli, and her sister-in-law Karen for the drive into the City.

The girls were going into the 5km walk and we noticed it had been raining overnight. I mentioned how it never rains for a Sri Chinmoy event and things would be ok.

At Princess Park a bubbly Beki introduced her self and them I caught up with some other Coolrunners. Tiger Boy, Rohan, Azza, Eat 'Em, Lostboys A & B, Jaykay, Chiliman and Steve. There was lots of other yellow and blue gear and as usually I'm sorry I didn't get everyone's names.

Before the race started I positioned myself right at the front. Figured it would be good to get a flying start without dodging slower runners.

It was explained that the course was a 5km circuit. The 30kmers would have to complete 6 laps and the Halfs would run 4. Their was some grumbles as it was announced that the half marathoners would have to turn back, and rejoin at the back of the pack, after the first straight to make up the 1.1km.

We had the moment of reflection then Ready, Set, GO! The race had started.

I was running quite well, maybe too good as Garminator told me I was at 3:50 pace! I was worried I would burn up on the first 5km circuit so had to make an effort to slow down.

The course passed under Royal Parade via a couple of bridges. It went out near Melbourne Zoo then looped back on itself. Garminator didn't like the bridges and paused himself. While running I had to make some adjustments and turn off the auto pause feature. I was passing under the bridges another 11 times and didn't want the stopwatch paused everytime I did.

The first 5km lap was completed in 23:16 and I was feeling pretty good. I figured if I continued at a reasonable pace I would finish 30km in around 2 and a half, maybe three quarter hours.

10km passed at 48:04 (woohoo PB) and 15km at 1:13:22. 20km I was at 1:38:59 and still feeling pretty fresh.

Salli and Karen had well and truly finished there 5km and came out to cheer me for the 15km mark. They then went for a coffee then came back for more cheers when I passed under the banner for the 5th time. Completing 25km in 2:03:53.

I was feeling pretty stuffed by now. I could feel the injured knee was getting tight, and I kept reminding myself that the furthest I had run before this was 22km's. I also had a infrequent need for the toilet that came and went. I was starting to think that if I had run in the half marathon I would have been finished by now. Still just one more lap didn't sound so bad so I pushed on.

After I passed the last drink station at 28km I spotted a toilet block and the need for a piss wouldn't wait further. Stopping I could feel my legs stiffening up and the will to go on was evaporating.

After a steady km pace of 5:00 to 5:30, the 29th kilometre pace blew out to 7:19! I was reduced to a walk and even stopping to stretch the legs and very sore knee. Other runners going past were shouting out encouragement and I felt a little silly walking so close to the end.

With effort I didn't know I had I started with a slow jog then pushing on to a 5:30 pace again.

Within sight of the finish line the back of my left knee started cramping. In my head I was saying "No way, not now!" and ran/hoped/limped over the finish line completing 30km in 2:36:50.

The earlier finishers had done a great job of clearing out the pancakes but I wolfed down four of the best mandarines I think I had ever had. Strange that in the last 5 km's I started feeling hungry.

Considering I had trained no where near this distance, and that I was carrying a stupid injury. I felt that I did ok.

With Garminator cracking the shits about the bridges I don't entirely trust his data but further details can be found at Motionbased.

It is 11 weeks to the Melbourne Marathon and after today's effort, with more training kilometres and long runs. The goal of running 42.195 is even more plausible.

9 Comments:

Blogger Wobbly man said...

Great effort SD! A few more 30+ training runs at lower intensity should see you really well prepared for the MM!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Fantastic result SD!!! Good to hear the knee (almost) held up. I'm thinking if you didn't have to stop running for that loo break at 28k your knee wouldn't have started hurting until the finish line.

Make sure you recover well, 30k is a loooooong way to race.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I have been looking forward all day to reading your report adn sending "hope you go well" vibes!! Well done Sparkdriver!! I'm so pleased for you! Oct 8th is looking great!

alisonjc

6:37 PM  
Blogger Simlin said...

Cool SD looking forward to your MM report!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Great to see you again today Sparks - I wasn't sure if you remembered me from the Puffing Billy training run but I thought I'd make sure this time LOL

Glad to hear you had a great run and that knee was behaving itself - you looked strong out there this morning and once I get my camera stuff sorted I should have a couple of good shots to send you :-)

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great effort SD and a 10 km pb chucked in as well. You'll have to monitor your knee and hopefully not aggravate further. I'm with Wobbly Man, a few more of these and you'll be well and truly ready for MM in October.

8:49 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Sparks that is an absolutely fantastic result mate AND a 10k PB to boot! You have come so far in such a relatively short period of time - well done indeed ;-)

10:16 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Great effort, excellent report, fantastic pace!!

You make me remember how important will be not to start too fast the marathon day :) Something to learn!

You did not mention about having fueled yourself during the race, did you?

Hope your knee recovers completely soon, be careful.

10:27 PM  
Blogger beakus said...

Great report SD, and well done on the race - and a PB in there too! Hope the knee calms down after that effort, and best of luck with the marathon training... it amazes me that anyone can run 42.2.

Congrats!

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home