Monday, July 10, 2006

Just to catch up.

Looks like I have a blogging post and a few runs to catch up on....

Friday I went back to Lysterfield Lake with my friend Salli. She was going to walk a lap of the lake while I would run two . I figured I would catch her easy on my second lap but I couldn't believe it when she beat me back to the car! I ran 12.9km and Salli walked 6.5km in 1:04:35.

I know Salli reads this and I am throwing out the challenge. I want a rematch!

Saturday Oscar and I set off for a 11km pace run in accordance to Hal Higdons Marathon training plan. I pushed for a fast pace and got it completing 11.1km in 0:55:30. Oscar had been awhile since his last run, Lysterfield Lake doesn't allow doggy visitors. He still did a great job of keeping up.

Later that day I registered for the 30km Sri Chinmoy Princess Park run. I reckon this event will be a good indication to see if I am up for the marathon distance.

Sunday and I had my long planned, much anticipated 22.5km long run. I had never run this distance before and it has been six weeks since my Half Marathon debut, I was feeling a little apprehensive.

I set off alone. Anything over 15km's is too far for Oscar and without him I can run on the roads.

Without going into every pavement pounding kilometre I will summarize and say it was a good run that felt pretty gruelling at times. It got tough towards the end, especially as I was so close to home but found that I had to make up 3 kilometres. Weaving up and down some local streets soon stretched the k's out.

My wife Sal flung open the door when I arrived home and exclaimed how worried she had been for me, "You have been gone for hours" she cried.

"22.76km in 1:59:59" (woohoo under 2 hours!) I replied with a sheepish grin and trying not to fall over. It was good to get home.

The long run brought my weekly total to 87.54km's, a new top weekly score. After slacking off last weekend it has also brought me back on track with the marathon plan and a well earned rest day today.

Now for a few questions. I don't think Krispy Kreme doughnuts are all that. I'm not sure why people are still queuing for them three weeks after the store had opened. Maybe a well thought out and planned advertising campaign.

I would love to meet the legendary Tesso at the Melbourne Marathon. I bags running next to her for 1km then eating her dust when she takes off at some crazy 4:45 pace for the rest of the race :-)

9 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

Nice going in the long run SD. Your reply to your wife's welcome when you got home made me laugh!

That 30k looks great - 6 x 5k loops. Sounds like the sort of thing we do here at the Brisbane Road Runners Club, though I've only ever done 5 x 5k. Good for mental toughness!

Melb is still in the back of my mind but the way you are going I reckon you'll be showing me a clean pair of heels if I do get there :-)

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rematch granted!!!! Lets see if i can beat you again..hehe.

1:51 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Sub 2 hours is a good time for your long run Sparks.

Yes Tesso IS a legend!

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

87 km in a week. You've come a long way in a short time SD. Looks like you'll certainly attack the MM.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Jaykay said...

Wow, what a great effort this week Sparky!

I've signed up for the 1/2 at Princes Park. Will see you there!

10:58 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Well done D
lots and lots of K's and at good pace too i reckon when you nail the 30k you will feel alot better about the marathon.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Wow - big week!

Krispy Kreme - I am blaming them for all my clients gaining weight this week! I can't believe they have all 'fessed up to me that is what they have been eating!!!!

Disgraceful....

11:22 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Sounds like the long run was very easy for you, congratulations!!

Do you say my family is supportive becuase I could run in London? Explain me more about what you think if you can...

3:19 AM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Love your description of how you felt at the end of your long run, know it well - just not recently!

Keep up the great training, you're doing great!

MAR.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home