Monday, June 26, 2006

Weekend long runs and a Birthday.

Today marks my 35th year on this planet. As you may know I recieved a Garmin Forerunner 305 last Friday for a gift and I am currently collecting vouchers and cash for a upcoming Rebel Sports shopping trip. I have my eye on a pair of Skins for long run recovery and some new runners later on in the week. Now that the silliness of an old mans birthday is out of the way lets get down to running business.

My new toy The Garminator and I have enjoyed a weekend of long runs in accordance to week 3 of Hal Higdon's Intermediate II marathon plan.

Saturday it was a race pace run of 10.17km. Oscar and I finished it in a 10km PB of 0:48:59. It was a good run but in a effort to impress The Garminator I think I pushed myself a bit harder than normal. I had played with the settings on the heart rate monitor and set the alarm for 185 beats per minute. At around the 6km mark the heart rate alarm sounded and kept sounding off and on till I got back home. The spikes on the speed graph show where I stopped to cross roads, take Oscar's leash on or off and even where I stopped and waited for Oscar to do a poo!

Garminator I set off alone for the long run on Sunday. This was the first step back long run distance and I ran 13.03km in 1:07:16. I set off down the road, turning back when The Garminators pre-set distance alarm activated half way at 6.5kms. A lot of spikes in the speed graph this time and I didn't have Oscar to blame. It must be times I paused the GPS while I stopped to cross roads etc etc.

I am using both Motionbased and SportsTracks for collating the GPS and HRM data at the moment. I'm sure that once the novelty wears off I may start using only one. My ever faithful Excel running log seems to have become a thing of the past and I will be retiring it at the end of the month. If anyone can offer tips and points feel free to yell out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ellie80 said...

Hey SD - happy birthday!! may the next year be even better!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Simlin said...

Happy Birthday SparkD! I looked at skins on the weekend...only looked though as I left my CreditCard at home infront of the computer after purchasing a rollon sportshield.
Garminator looks like he's doing a great job!
Damn, my birthday is still 9 months away!

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun with SportTracks and Motionbased. I prefer SportTracks but since I've uploaded every run to Motionbased I can't stop now.

12:55 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

Happy birthday! Great toy there too, does all these fancy graphs.

2:00 AM  
Blogger Jaykay said...

Happy Birthday Sparky!! Hope it was a good one!

And yes, it was what you probably thought it was!!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

Eeek! Someone else mentioning a program and illustrating how slack I am!

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home