Monday, July 03, 2006

A weekend to recharge

Last Friday I set out for my regular 10km run. It didn't go as well as I hoped and I had a few problems. The Garminator lost its satellite lock and I had to stop and have a fiddle with it. Then at the 6.5km mark I was reduced to a walk for a bit after powering up a short, steep hill. My heartrate had peaked at 191 bpm at the summit so I decided to walk it out for a few hundred metres to bring it back under control. I got back home after 10.9km in 0:52:38.

This weekend, as anyone who lives in Melbourne knows, was fairly poor weather wise. I had a 10km run Saturday and a 21km long run scheduled for Sunday. But due to the rain, shopping for dining room tables with the wife or just not being in the mood for it I didn't get any running done.

I checked out the new Melbourne Marathon website on Sunday and started to question my goals. Am I ready for a full marathon? Do I have the determination for it? Am I being unrealistic? My weight lose has stalled a little this month and I wonder will I be too heavy for a marathon?

The family and I went to the cinema that afternoon to watch Superman Returns. It was a great, feel good movie and helped put to marathons and running out of my mind for the rest of the night.

This evening Oscar and I went set out for a evenly paced, 10km run around the suburb
It was over a different route than normal and was actually a bit of fun. After a few days of breaking in my new Asics Kayanos were getting their first run and they felt great. I didn't push myself too hard and ended up completing 10.3km in 0:52:14.

After such a enjoyable run my thoughts have turned back to my goals. I reckon I can make up my lost kilometres from the weekend during the next few days and be back on track. The McMillan Running calculator reckons I could run a marathon in 3:45:10 at 5:21 pace/km. With focus and training I am back to believing that it is indeed a realistic goal.

4 Comments:

Blogger Simlin said...

Wow, rough weekend. Good luck getting back on track. I am kind of stalled in the middle of no where now to.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the scheme of things missing a weekend of running is not detrimental to your long term goals. Melbourne Marathon is still 3 months away, with the right attitude and training, you'll do it.

12:00 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Good decision - of course you can do it. You could go out and cover 42.2k tomorrow if you wanted to - the real question comes down to what time you would be happy with and do you think you can achieve that with the training time you have left?

Given how far the MM is away you have plenty of time - the key now is getting your long run (which doesn't have to be fast) happening.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on your times, distances and regularity of training, I don't doubt for a second that you could cover the 42.2km. I think as 2p suggests the main issue is what goal you set with regard to time.

PS. It looks like your times are getting better for 10km (without going back thru your entries, I'm pretty sure you have got faster fairly quickly)

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home