Sunday, January 07, 2007

Finally a purpose.

Today I went out for a run during more civilized, daylight, hours.

A long run of 15.4km's was completed in 1:21:06.

A suburban, local long run.


More Motionbased details can be found here.

Sometimes I get some crazy ideas while running and here is one of them.

Back in the peaceful 1980's while in year seven at a new school, my running obsessed class teacher organised a trip.

It wasn't a trip on a plane, train or bus but it was a journey on foot.

Most school days started with the whole class going for a run around a 1km track surrounding the school grounds. At the end of the fitness session all our laps were tallied and the total kilometres place on the blackboard (wow a blackboard...showing my age here).

The total kilometres was then used to map our run against a map of Australia.

Starting from Melbourne and heading up the east coast our progress was recorded with drawing pins.

We would do research on the towns and cities we passed through, learning a bit of Aussie history along the way.

From memory we did a complete lap of Australia. It was an interesting learning experience.

So with keeping with that theme I have started my progress from Melbourne down the Hume Highway and heading north.

With the help of http://www.mapmyrun.com/ I have worked out that with my kilometre total of 35km at the end of week one, I have reached the intersection of Hume Freeway and Cooper St in Somerton Vic.

The road distance from Melbourne Vic to Rockhampton Qld is 1980km's and I would like to be at least there by the end of the year if not further (maybe Mackay Qld, 2316km's??).

Feel free to come out and cheer me if I go past your piece of this beautiful country.

8 Comments:

Blogger MorseyRuns said...

What a great idea- if you have a week off running, I hope you stop somewhere nice!!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

That was one smart teacher.

Maybe in your blog you'll have to do the same thing, tell us a little bit about the place you get to.

See you when you get to Brissie :-)

4:17 PM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Do they not have blackboards in schools anymore?

Feel free to drop in for a coffee on your way past ;-)

5:26 PM  
Blogger Simlin said...

Awesome Idea SparkD, trying to go back to primary school.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Jadey said...

I was bashed up by some bloke at the service station there once - beware! LOL

OK so it's not real but geez it bought back memories

6:24 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Don't forget to detour into Canberra :) There must be easier ways to get out of Melbourne ;)

Blackboards were great - except for squeaking chalk.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

kWhat a nice idea Spark! I will learn about your country while you run through it!
That will be a great goal, let's see in how long you cover the distance around the whole country!
Thanks for the push :D I started with the bike today!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

that is an awsome idea!!! and hey when u r finished you could do the mud island! there is room at my house :)

its great to have somehting different to focuse... spice of life and all that :p

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home