Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I'm back

Some of you may know Victoria is currently in the grip of a bushfire crisis.

As part of my volunteer firefighter duties I have spent the past 3 days in a small, Gippsland town called Briagolong.

While in Briagolong I was tasked to Strike Team 0805. A group of six, four wheel drive vehicles made up of a Nissan Patrol "Strike Team leader" and 5 Landcruiser ute type appliances. The Landrcruisers had small 'bolt on, bolt off' water tanks and pumps and are therefore called "Slip-ons". We were involved in containment line building and backburning.

A picture tells 1000 words so without boring you further with all the dirty, dusty details I will post some pics taken from the trip.




Sleeping accomdations at "Camp Krusty". Briagolong Staging Area.


A healthy breakfast (NOT!).


7am briefing.


My crew partner Micheal, dousing out a hotspot.


Filling the water tanks.


My appliance Upper Beaconsfield Slip-on.



Starting a backburn.


Dusty roads.


The author having fun.


Where is the shower?


After eating like a pig while away and the lack of running leading up to this weekend I have been feeling very bloated and FAT. I have avoided the scales for the last couple of weeks as I didn't really want to know how bad the damage was. So it was with great treperdation that I weighed myself this morning. A little shocked the scales hit 99 kilos! It was time for a run.


To start the path of rediscovery my dog Oscar and I set out for a 5km loop around the local area. We completed the 5.1km distance in 0:24:52 and both of us were very puffed.

Further Motionbased details can be found here.

13 Comments:

Blogger MorseyRuns said...

I was starting to get worried about you- glad are back safe and sound and I hope the rain hurries up to help everyone out. Those extra kilos will be easy to lose at this time of year!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Ruune said...

You post pictures of yourself in uniform and/or funny hats more than anyone I know (actually I don't know anyone else that does that).

Glad you are back safe and sound.

3:34 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Great stuff Sparks - thanks for all you do as a volunteer.

Good work with the run too.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Like 2P said, thanks. I can't imagine how we'd get by in times like these without the help of the volunteers.

You deserve that good looking brekky :-)

6:21 PM  
Blogger Sal said...

Good to see you back safe and sound....guess i will be getting a bill from you for the dry cleaners...

6:45 PM  
Blogger Em said...

I had a feeling that was what you were up to.

You guys are heroes, growing up in a bushfire area and having a mum that still lives there I have nothing but respect for the CFA guys and gals. My first BF was a CFA Vol (used to love him in that uniform too but that's another story)

I hope you have a fantastic and well deserved Xmas with your family and that if you are called back to the line of duty you stay safe and well.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

you are very brave!
the pictures are great

i too am avoiding the scale :p gak!

9:21 PM  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

wow, you're a champion.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Great pics Sparkles - really reminds us of all the hard work you put in

99 kegs hey? At least you didn't hit triple figures...a few runs and a few less full fried breakfasts will have you trimmed back down in no time ;-)

Hope you have a wonderful Crimble with your family

8:45 AM  
Blogger Simlin said...

National Hero Sparks,
Top effort.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Good on you SD. Great job - much appreciated.

Too many healthy breakfasts I think...

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work SD. Thanks for your efforts.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Stay safe and have a very merry christmas.

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home