Saturday, November 18, 2006

Movember 18th

For the first time in a while I have two runs to write about.

The first run took place on Thursday while I was on an extended meal break at work.

I had planned on a 10km route over some new territory but when I switched on the Garminator, he promptly replied "Battery low, press enter". This hasn't happened to me before but from reading others Blogs I figure I wouldn't have the Garmins services for long.

Within five minutes running I was a little pissed to see his blank screen and decided that due to not having the correct time on me, and the need to get back to work on time, a shorter run over known route was in order.

I ran through Birrarung Marr towards the MCG planning to do some reconnaissance work for a race on Sunday. The Number 2 light tower at the "G" is the starting point of the Olympic Dream, an 10km event being held on Sunday.

At the MCG I ran a clockwise half lap of the exterior then crossed the Tennis Centre footbridge over the railyards. A left up Swan st then right at Punt rd placed me in the vicinity of the Morell bridge, facing the base of Anderson st hill.

I passed a few walkers while running up the hill then followed the Tan around to Linlithgow ave. Crossing St Kilda rd I headed back to work at Flinders St Station.

With the failure of Garminator I have had to calculate the distance using Gmap. The best I can figure the distance was 7.4kms. I have no idea of the time it took me. I just knew it left enough for a shower and time to run my 1544 Pakenham train home.

My second run was yesterday and back to an old favorite destination of Lysterfield Lake.

I picked up a friend Salli and planned to settle an old score. To see if I could catch Sal while she walked a lap of the lake while I ran two.



In all I ran 11.4kms in 0:56:22. Surprisingly it took till 10.2kms to catch Sal. For someone who has such short legs she can sure move fast (I know she reads this and can hear her cursing me now :-D ).

As mentioned earlier, tomorrow I am running in the 10km Olympic Dream. It is a 5km loop course around the MCG and surrounding parklands. I am confident of a sub 50 minute time and am hoping for minus 45's.

Special thanks to Jaykay for the latest donation to Movember. A update pic will follow soon.

Late Edit: Even though I have heaps of props with fire helmets and uniforms etc, I will not be doing the Full Monty for charity any time soon. I cannot think of anyone who would want to pay to see this!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ewen said...

You could say you ran at 'shower:train/km pace'. Garminator will have to do an extra run to get back on schedule.

Glad to hear Sal is giving the lard bus a go. Also, you need to look a lot meaner to convince me the person in that photo is 'Blakey'.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home