Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Garmin Panic!!

Thanks everyone for your latest fantastic comments. Its hard to slack off when I feel I will be letting so many people down.

Sundays long run didn't eventuate due to ebay pick up business but I did get out for the regular 10km circuit on Monday


I completing the 10.2km distance in 0:50:09 and felt alot better for doing it too. Mondays 10km run heart rate and elevation chart.

More details for this run can be found at Motionbased here.

I was heading out the door today for a planned mid-week long run when I found that my Garmin Forerunner 305 wouldn't turn on!!

I returned to plug The Garminator into its USB port but still nothing, he wouldn't respond!

With growing concern and panic I turned to the Garmin website in the hope of finding 1st aid instructions. After scrolling through the information (hhhmmm a lot of new stuff since I last visited), I found a description of Garminators symptoms (blank screen, no beeps, looks like it is f*$#ed) and a remedy.

With growing trepidation I pressed the Power, Mode and Reset buttons simultaneously.

A great sigh of relief when 'my Precious' emitted his all familiar "Beep" and 'Battery charging in progress' started scrolling across the screen.

The Garminator is now resting quietly plugged into the main power while I have a strong coffee and a little lie down.

I did briefly consider going for a run minus the technology but due to receiving a phone call while all this was going on I am now waiting for a Tradesman to show up.

I have to go to work at midday so unfortunately my run will be scratched for the day.

Better luck tomorrow.

10 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

A long time ago I discovered the IBP method of fixing things - Indiscriminate Button Pushing - if that doesn't work move onto phase 2 ICC - Indiscriminate Component Change - saves mucking about with service manuals etc ;-)

Glad your near disaster was averted.

Good to see you running too ;-)

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having survived my own Garmy scare I can sympathise.
Now where is the Heart Rate graph for the hour you discovered Your Garmin wasn't working?

12:31 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

OMG you poor thing! what a fright! I love 2ps repair methods - I like percussive maintenance, where you hit things to make them work.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

i lol'd about the garmin fiasco!

i have a fancy thing that i need to attatch to my bike (i prefer this to cycling) that tells me all sorts of crazy things like speed, temp, heart rate... i wont be surprised if it bursts into song!

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Garmin, I feel for ya. How can one run with out a gadget, it's not possible, is it?

7:03 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Aghhh, don't ya hate it when the technology fails, the old press all the buttons at once trick works for my Polar watch too.

Sometimes I think I should leave the watch and footpod behind and just run for the hell of it, but I LOVE my techie stuff too much!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Just catching up SD after being away. Sounds like you are over the bump now and getting back into it... good news.

My sister is also talking about doing the Arthurs Seat event, although she has only started to run regularly again recently.

When I was in Melb she started ripping pages out of my latest RW for some events she saw advertised. Needless to say this did not go down well with me...!
Grrrrrrrrrrr!!

MAR.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That was a close one. I have the same feeling when I leave the bloody thing on by mistake and get the 'battery low' warning just before heading out for my run.

Thanks for the resuscitation tip.

4:00 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Ah the evils of Garmin technology!!

WE love them we hate them...
actually i have left mine at home lately as i realised most of my runs have measurements on the footpath anyhow!

R2B

12:46 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Just the same happened to me with G this week, but my history didn't end like yours...

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home