Thursday, September 07, 2006

Good morning world.

I set the alarm nice and early (5:45am) today and headed out for a 'good morning world' type of run.

I had another 5km spin on the treadmill at work the previous Tuesday and was feeling pretty anxious to get out doors, and build up some kilometers again.

This morning run went really well. I covered 15.2km's in 1:15:10 and arrived back home with no leg pain at all.

Splits from this mornings run.

The elevation and pace chart for my run. Maybe I should try it in reverse one day.

More details for this run can be found at Motionbased.

My leg is feeling great. The weeks forced rest seems to have worked wonders on my shin. I'm thinking that maybe I was just suffering from a tendon strain and not the dreaded shin splints I so amateurishly diagnosed.

I am very confident now of completing the Melbourne Marathon in four and a half (gulp) weeks.

A friend sent me a email today that was titled 'Dickhead Bus Drivers' (apologies to any bus driving readers). In the email was a picture of a level crossing on Springvale Rd in Springvale Victoria.

The picture was taken from the drivers cabin of a moving train. It is a heart stopping moment that train drivers experience regularly. I drive trains on this line at least twice a day and in 15 years I have had numerous near misses on this very crossing. You wouldn't believe some of the stupid shit I have seen people do here and at other locations.

Be careful out there.

10 Comments:

Blogger Simlin said...

He's back! and stronger too from the sound of it!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Great news about the leg SD.

Probably a dumb question but how was that piccie taken??? Man, scary stuff.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Judging by the position of the camera I would say it was taken by the driver. Uummm it wasn't me.

11:17 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Great to see its all sorted!!

Scary Pic too.I don't think many or enough people have seen before and after shots of what a train will do to a vehichle,let alone their respective occupants.Yep scary shit.

Stay safe and run with passion!
R2B

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're back, good to hear. What's a training program without at least one scare.

Good'n'scary pic. I'm actually one of those drivers, whilst at boom gates, waits for the red lights & bells to stop before crossing. It's amazing how many times cars behind beep and toot as soon as the boom gates open.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I'm super-careful even when crossing the road. That looks scarey.

All steam ahead for the MM!

5:29 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

good news about your leg SD, yay :)
4 and a half weeks is scary, but in a good way - you will ROCK the MM!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Yikes, and double yikes if you happen to be a passenger on that bus!!!!

With all the injuries us runners can get I don't think it is unusual to assume the worst when something starts to hurt, glad you are feeling good again.

3:30 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Good to hear the leg is fine Sparks - nice elevation chart - yeah do it backwards ;-)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Hi SD, great to hear the leg is co-operating again and the week off does not appear to have set you back at all.

A belated congrats on your new 10km PB - ours are now within a few seconds of each other!

Also sending my best wishes to poor ol Oscar, take it he is feeling better by now? Very cute!

MAR.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home