Sunday, August 06, 2006

You ran where??

Thursday the 3rd of August

I ran a fairly slow 6.5kms in 0:42:00 on the treadmill at work tonight. I did this while watching 'Resevoir Dogs' on DVD.

If it wasn't for the movie it would be pretty boring run. I much prefer to get outdoors but I just don't feel that safe running the streets of Melbourne at 10 o'clock at night.

Sunday the 6th of August

After again missing my run on Saturday (may have to change my Friday rest day to here. Saturdays are just too busy) I set out for my long run bright and early this morning.

I was inspired by Chillimans post on Coolrunning regarding the Sassafras creek run but was unavailable to attend this gathering due to their late start.

So instead I drove to Belgrave, where the start of the Great Train Race is held. The plan was to follow the race course for 10 kilometres and return.

I started out just after 7am with a quick hill descent for around 500 metres. It was then a steady but gradual climb into Selby.


The famous Puffing Billy Trestle Bridge.

Except for the kookaburra's laughing at me it was a fairly quiet and peaceful run.

Selby-Aura Vale rd

The 7.8km point found me in front of the Clematis Hotel looking down the road and contemplating if I should continue. The Garminator told me I had only run 7.8km's and I would be foolish to turn around and head back now (thanks Garminator).

(At this point I have made several attempts to load more pictures into this god dammed f*%ken blogger piece of rubbish and it won't allow me! For the sake of my own sanity I have to move on)

I arrived in Emerald after 10.1km's in 0:54:38. I stretched for a little and took another pic.


It was a pleasure to run back to Belgrave. It is mostly downhill with two short but very steep hills. When the maximum heart-rate alarm sounded I walked for a little to the top of the rises then continued running. I think my return times was a lot quicker than my forward time.

(Once again Blogger wont let my splits graph upload ggrrr)

In the end I ran 20.5 kilometres in 1:49:07.

The title of my post is Sal's reaction when I told her I ran from Belgrave to Emerald and back. It is funny how 20 kilometres is starting to feel like an easy distance now.

Late edit: After reading Jaykays shameless plug for her eEay items I have decided to add my own. Click here to have a sticky beak at what I am currently selling on eBay.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ellie80 said...

sounds like a great run! oh for the day that 20k doesn't feel like that far!!!

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If blogger is not playing the game you may have to consider other options (that's what I did).

Great pics. I think it's almost mandatory to take out a phone/camera on our long runs.

11:20 AM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

Oh well done sparkdriver. What a lovely feeling to realise that all your steady effort is working :)

I upload my photos to photobucket dot com and put them into my blog from there, haven't had any trouble so far (fingers crossed)

11:39 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Great pics. Seems a shame we are missing out on more though.

I had trouble recently and found by clicking on 'large' on the right hand size where it refers to size sorted things out. Though you may be doing that already.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

The placenames don't mean anything to me, but the distance is damned impressive!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Beautiful, just as lovely as my Sherbrooke run on Sunday.

I changed my rest day to Satuday so I could fit everything in as well, so much to do on the weekends, and I don't even have kids.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Was that a Lion's symbol on that board?

11:17 AM  
Blogger Jaykay said...

Don't you just love running in them thar hills!!

And thanks for another shameless plug!!

Good work on the trivia game too!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

How lovely to be able to say that and don't even feel that is really a great distance.
I'll check what you are selling, who knows...

12:59 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Great run SD anything over 9km seems like a long way to me!
I reckon i need to do some long runs like yourself!

As for blogger i haven't the time to work it all out!
Good thing its WYSIWYG isn't it?

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home