Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Some things I learnt.

After a few days retrospect I have been thinking a lot about the Sri Chinmoy Princess Park run and believe I have learnt a few things from the 30km experience.

1/When running at night take a torch.
The most annoying thing about the Princess Park run was having to enter with a stupid injury. If I hadn't tripped over a curb while out running in darkness four nights previously I would have been in better shape for the big event.

2/Take the Fuelbelt on Race day.
I brought my Fuelbelt and a bottle of Gatorade on the day but with a last minute decision I left them in the car. I figured there would be frequent aid stations on the course and there was. But I did noticed many other runners wearing Fuelbelts with sports drinks. Maybe more fuel for the longer run and certainly a lot easier to drink out of than a cup.

3/Wearing Skins
The Skins I bought a few days previously stayed in my backpack during the run. My plan was to don them straight after the race but I didn't put them on till after I got home and showered. I noticed again that a lot of runners were wearing them during the event and I started to think that I should have too. What's the point of $100+ sports tights when I don't wear them during sport?

3/Bladder Control
It's not just while running but also during day to day life. I just can't seem to hold on as good as I used to. I have been joking that it must mean I am getting old but my wife thinks I should get a check-up. I will arrange to see a doctor during the next week. I would be very frustrated to have to stop for a piss during my marathon and have the legs stiffen up again.

It has been a few days since the run and nearly a week since I fell. The pain in my knee from the fall has been superseded by my aching leg muscles. I have struggled to get in and out of cars and walk up stairs let alone attempt to go for a run.

Tomorrow at work I have a long meal break so I may go for a slow, leisurely run along the Yarra River. I am at my highest monthly total and only need a few more kilometres to crack the 200 for July.

P.S Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble uploading pics to blogger??

2 Comments:

Blogger Hilda said...

This helps me too a lot, thanks.
Wish you enjoy your next run :)

10:36 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Good ideas there SD.

I usually have water in one of my fuelbelt bottles for those really big races as I find the early drink stations are just so conjested. And sometimes the first one isn't until 5k, its reassuring to know you can have water before then especially in the hotter weather.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home