Monday, July 31, 2006

A long Run and monthly totals.

Due to work and family commitments I missed a run on Saturday but yesterday, (Sunday) I still made it out the door for my long run.

The Hal Higdon program called for a 27km run and with five and a bit laps of my local 5km circuit I managed 27.5km in 2:21:37.


My 1km splits. I'm very happy with this effort.

Even though I covered the same territory five times the runs was quite enjoyable. The hilliest part of this course is also where I hit a stiff westerly head wind but with a few shouts at the elements I managed to push through. My apologies if I scared any neighbors.

Up to the 20km mark I felt fantastic. I reckon after this Marathon business I will concentrate my efforts of Halfs, improving my best time.

I have registered for my first Fatass event. The Bellarine Rail Trail is a 32km or 64km run comming up on Sunday the 20th of August. The family and I are going to make a weekend of it and stay at Sal's parents place at nearby Ocean Grove and I will run the 32km from Geelong to Queenscliff. We are all looking forward to that weekend.

Today is a rest/cross training day and I have just returned from the swimming pool. A few laps to free up the muscles a little but it was not really needed. Soon as I finished the long run yesterday I showered and put on my Skins. Compared to the way I felt after the 30km Sri Chinmoy my legs are 100% better.

Yesterdays run brings my monthly total to....drum roll please... 257.55km!! That is 85km more than my previous best of 172km in March. The kilometres are really starting to add up.

My monthly weight average is 95.7 kilos. The weight has actually fluctuated a bit this month. It was tending to creep up until I started myself on a low calorie/low fat diet. I have to admit that even after giving up smokes, alcohol and starting a exercise regime, sticking to a healthy diet is one of the toughest things I have ever done.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

257 km in a month. That's some serious running. Congrats on that.

I reckon if you maintain this sort of running and a normal diet you'll be losing the kg's all over the place.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Your running is going great!

Seems you are recovering perfectly fine after the efforts and keeping your pace climbing up!!

Well, about the food I am finding harder to take care of that part than running moster month :P

12:07 PM  
Blogger Simlin said...

yep, diet is definately a struggle.

and how great are the new improvements to Sportstracks!

12:15 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

Go SparkDriver go!
I remember last year how freaked out I was when I eneterd the half- I cna't imagine how terrifying it is to enter a full marathon! But you're on track, working hard, amazing mothly totals.... already looking forward to your marathon report.
PS I have a photobucket account so I just load my photos to there then use the code to put them into blogger.
cheers

8:05 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Way to go Sparks! Welcome to the 200 club!

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Spark I think you are the best! I read all the comments etc and I think hooly dooly I'm married to this guy!! As for the drinking/smoking comments posted by others I must say this has been an awesome effort by Damien....he smoked and drank for a long time...all of our "togther life" and I have tried to quit the smoking a number of times and I have also tried to do more excercise a number of times and lets just say the wife is a FLOP but the hubby is a Champ!! Even after running ridiculious km's on Sunday the man went BOWLING with his family!! He is not only a runner and a fantastic athlete but also he is a wonderful hubby and a great father! Go Sparks GO! We luv u!Anyways just thought I'd let u all know that! Cheers!

12:51 AM  
Blogger Em said...

Goodness, you don't look like a big fella, and I just had a look at your race times as well, they are excellent. A few more Kgs down and some more mileage and you'll be killing those times.

I hear ya on the diet stuff. Lucky for me drinking and smoking have never been an issue, but my "diet" efforts fluctuate wildly.

Love the comments from your wife too, what a sweetheart :-)

11:03 AM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

Just replying to your comment: the last time J asked me to mow the lawn I ran over the sprinkler system. Now I only do it when I feel like it mwahahaha.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Go Spark Driver!

And, the Melbourne Marathon - that's big!

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home