Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The scenic route around Melbourne.

Tuesday the 8th of August.

On Tuesday I showed up for work early and took a run around the more "iconic" parts of Melbourne.

I ran from the Elizabeth St Subway at Flinders St Station and headed down the North Bank toward Birrarung Marr Park. I crossed the footbridge over the train tracks and headed out to do an external lap of the MCG.


Approaching the Melbourne Cricket Ground from the Birrarung Rail Bridge.

I hadn't run around the "G" before and I did find the experience pretty special. There is several statues commemerating sporting achievements scattered around the ground and the size of the place is pretty awesome.

The view from the bottom of the Number 5 light tower.

I then crossed back over toward Rod Laver and Vodaphone Arena's, turned left up Swan St, then right down Hoddle Street to follow the Yarra Trail.

Following the Yarra River I crossed over to the south bank on the Grange Rd Bridge (as recomended by Steve on a earlier run) and headed back to the City.

Melbourne taken from Birrarung Rail Bridge.

My maximum heart-rate monitor was singing away merrily as I joined the multitudes of lunch time runners heading up the Anderson St Hill and I did a half lap of the Tan.

Crossing St Kilda Rd I dodged the crowds on Southbank, crossed the Yarra River again at the Sandridge Rail Bridge, and returning to Flinders St Station 14.2km's and 1:10:31 minutes later.




More details on this run can be found at Motionbased.

Wednesday the 9th of August.

Yesterday I attended at my Gym and had a follow up fitness assesment. My last assesment was 29th of March 2005 and since then it has all been good news.

March last year I weighed 108.7 kilo, now 94.1. My body fat was 36.1% and now a lot healthier 24.8%. On a bike test it was found that my stamina has doubled and the assessor was very happy. I did point out to him that most of my weight loss was contributed to outdoor running and not the gym but he didn't seem to mind.

10 Comments:

Blogger speedygeoff said...

From your photo, there seems to be a new building in the city since I last visited Melbourne. Reminds me that I haven't been back to my favorite big city for a few years now.... not since the world masters.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Simlin said...

Very scenic running there SparkD! great news on the fitness assessment!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

wow - feel like i've done a tour of melbourne!! what an amazing change since last year - love your work SD.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Cinders said...

Gosh our Melbourne looks pretty on some days.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Good work on the fitness assessment Sparks. Some really nice pics there too - people need more pics on their blogs so that I can pretend I went for a run there too lol

1:52 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Standing ovation for that fitness assesment, especially on the body fat loss, well done :-)

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics there SD. It seems like it's almost mandatory to have photos of where we run.

Good news on your fitness assessment.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

WOW, those fitness assessment stats are really impressive, you should be really proud of yourself! I know plenty of guys that could/should "take a leaf..."

Cool photos, I love Melbourne! And you make it sound every bit as great as it is.

Thanks for the comments on my blog. Keep up the great work, both the running and the weight-loss - a fantastic achievement.

MAR.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Now it is official, you accomplished being a fit person in a year, that is some great achivement!

Feel proud and lucky for living in such a modern and beautiful city.

12:21 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Nice work SD 14+kg in such a short space of time must make you feel so much better!(I am down 22kg from my worst so i know where your coming from)Its the best when you can tie your shoelaces without having to strain or contort your body.Ah the simple things!

Cheers R2B

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home