Friday, August 18, 2006

The first weekend of long, LONG runs.

Wednesday the 16th of August

According to the Hal Higdons Marathon plan a 16km long run was on the program today.

I set off alone and ran across to the neighboring suburb and back in a big squareish loop.


By the time I got back home I ended up running 17km's in 1:26:06.


My splits for this run.

The splits time blew out to 5:39 in the 11th km when I took a wrong turn and had to go off-road next to the railway track.

More details for this run at Motionbased.

Thursday the 17th of August.

Oscar and I did our old 10km circuit around the estate.

It had rained a little overnight so I wore my new Asics Trail shoes.

I found the Asics Gel Eagles very unforgiving when running on concrete but a lot easier to run on grass that my Kayano's. It was a lot of fun looking for and stomping in any puddles I could find and I made a great mess.



Oscar is a little out of form and was happy to get back home after 10km's in 0:49:38. I'm afraid that I think I am too quick for him and 10km's will be his limit from now on.

More Motionbased details here.

Friday the 18th of August (today).

I had ever intention of moving tomorrows 16km run to today but just can't get myself motivated to do it.

It was sunny earlier but clouding over now. The cold wind is making outdoors a bit nippley (uncomfortable when you have a pierced one) and I'm just not in the mood for it.

I can always run tomorrow but as we are heading to the in-laws at Ocean Grove for the weekend I may not get time for it.

I have the much anticipated Fatass Bellarine Rail Trail 32km on Sunday and I am looking forward to having a great Sunday long run.

That will be the first of my three 32km runs before the taper leading to Melbourne Marathon 2006. I have been thinking of running this 32km then pushing the next two out to 36 kilometres. I think this maybe better preparation for my marathon than having to make up 10km's on the day.

Any ideas or thoughts on this would be very welcome.

3 Comments:

Blogger Simlin said...

Just another reason not to get a nipple ring...thanks SD. Have fun down at the in-laws!

edit: ok I am now onto my third attempt at the word verifaction DO'H

2:06 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

That 17km in 1:26 is awesome Damian!
Same pace as your half marathon and in training to boot!
Hope you are feeling more and more confident as time goes by?
I just posted on my blog but i didnt answer your question i realised!...
So yes beating last years time by 7.5 mins was great,but even better was not pressuring myself and just enjoying it!!
Cheers Adrian

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See you on Sunday, with my hidden video camera. Remember, the mics always on.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home