Thursday, August 31, 2006

Shin Splints??

My sore right ankle from last Sunday has developed into something that has suspiciously similar symptoms as shin splints.

My ankle and the front of the shin has been very sore up until today when the pain seems to have eased a little.

I have been very frustrated this week. It is the time in my training program when I should be cranking out those big, long runs, but up until this morning I haven't been able to walk without a limp.

This injury flared up after trail running at Lysterfield Lake last Thursday. I'm hoping I haven't bought a pair of evil Asics Gel Eagles trail shoes.

Hopefully after resting this weekend I will be able to start training again. Fingers crossed a weeks rest won't upset the marathon program too much.

Late edit: Thanks for the reminder Simlin. I have just added my monthly totals. This month was a little low due to the last weeks rest. 226.35km is a little short compared to last month. Hopefully I can get it together for September.

8 Comments:

Blogger Simlin said...

Always good to have some time off! you will come back stronger and faster! Thanks for the update

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think an unplanned week off running will have a servere impact on your training. I hope it's not one of those lasting niggling things.

9:19 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

I agree with Steve + get the ice and anti-inflams going.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

A few days rest won't do you any harm. You'll probably come back fresher and train better.

Though if you are getting edgey from doing not much maybe consider water running. Its boring but it can be great exercise. Fingers crossed you won't have to resort to that.

12:49 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

that's bad news. Have you been to your physio?
But we always think things are going to have worse effects than they do. You've been building your base. I'm sure it will be ok :)

7:47 PM  
Blogger Em said...

R.I.C.E and maybe a visit to a Pod if you do suspect Shin Spints, haven't had them myself but from what I have heard best not to muck around.

Take it easy I am sure you will some good.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Look after yourself SD. Nip it in the bud.

It could be the shoes. When I put heel cups in mine the extra height of the heel gave me shin problems for a while.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Yikes - not good Sparks....make sure you ice and massage. The rest will prolly do you ome good and you'll be back stronger and faster than ever :-)

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home