Monday, September 04, 2006

Tentative steps after a week off.

After taking a week off from running my right shin is feeling a lot better.

To reduce the chances of further injury I will try to slowly build up the training kilometers this week. Hopefully reaching a long, 20km run by Sunday.

I went for a 5km run this morning and completed 5.1km in 0:23:55. Later in the day I ran a fartlek session on the treadmill at work running 5.3 kilometers in 30 minutes.

Sitting here now my leg feels pretty good and I will go out tomorrow for a 8 to 10km run around the suburb.

Last Thursday our dog Oscar suffered a medical emergency.

During the course of the afternoon we watched as he obviously struggled with severe constipation. A phone call to the Vet suggested a couple of tablets of Coloxyl to soften his stools, but by Friday morning there was still no movement. Oscar was not eating and looking very, very miserable.

Fortunately the Vet could see him early Friday morning. He was examined, x-rayed and admitted for surgery.

We picked him up later that afternoon and after an enema, castration and five hundred and fifty dollars Oscar was feeling a lot better.

He has been resting since with a short walk yesterday and today. I will wait till his stitches are removed next week before he goes out for a run.


He does seem to be enjoying the special pampering he is receiving at the moment.

11 Comments:

Blogger Simlin said...

Poor Oscar :(
Hope your shin pulls through all right too!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Oooh, poor Oscar - look at that little face! Why are they so good at giving "that" look???

9:18 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Oh, poor little Oscar. Those sad eyes, looks like he's milking it for all its worth ;-)

Hope you've got those shins of yours under control, those 5k runs sounded promising.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't envy your shin splints and hope you recover in time for a good run at the MM.

Is Oscar saying, "thank god, don't have to go running for a week or two".

9:46 AM  
Blogger Louise said...

Get Well Soon ... both of you.

12:27 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Geez - I'm not never ever never going tocomplain of constipation if the cure includes getting your nuts cut off!!!!!

Wonder what they do for sore shins???

5:33 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

poor oscar :(
so glad your shin is feeling better though :)
thanks for the comment - now I have wagner as an earwork LOL

8:56 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Good to see you getting back into it.

Look at little Oscar, glad he is OK. It makes me almost physically sick when one of my pets is ill. Shame we can't take out health insurance for them though!

9:18 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Paw Oscar!

But looking at his shiny coat i can see he is well looked after!
Hope you leg gets better quickly (as mine did)

How long until your marathon?

R2B

9:47 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

He looks so sad. I hope he's feeling better before long. I bet he's thinking: shins are nothin'.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Oscar is black! He is lovely, somehow I imagine him diferent...

Sorry I missed key days of your training, but fortunately I can go back and read all about it! The marathon is so close!!!

Good you took this week off so now you are ready again to keep building up!!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home