Sunday, October 08, 2006

Melbourne Marathon 2006

I have arrived back home from the Melbourne Marathon and though I didn't make my expected time of 3:45, I did complete the event and set a Marathon PB of 4:13.

Even though the start was delayed by 15 minutes it was worth it to hear the National Anthem being played. Not many of the competiors joined in the singing but there must of been a little girl, about 7 years old, at the front singing her heart out. The Race Starter dropped the mic to her level and even though she was out of time and tune the moment was priceless. She received a resounding ovation.

Coolrunnings 'Digger' was driving the 3:45 pace bus and I jumped on and followed him along.

The Thursday previously I had bought a new running singlet for the marathon and at the 15km mark, after splashing water all over myself, I started to expercience a new sensation, bleeding nipples. I have never had this problem before during earlier races so didn't put much thought into protecting the pointy bits. I stopped at a St Johns van for some band-aids but they had trouble sticky to my sweaty, bear like, chest hair. Luckily by then my singlet had dried out and the irrataion had subsided. I tried to avoid getting my top wet then but had created a blood stain on my mostly white new top.

I passed the half way point of 21.1km at 1:50:11 and my my last five weeks of slack training was starting to show. At the 26km point running a Half Marathon seemed like a good idea as I slowly lost the pace bus. 29kms and after losing sight of Digger and struggling on some small hills I started to walk.

The rest of the event seemed to go past as a walk/jog/run while I slowly cramped up. My thoughts turned to how if I lost a further 10 kilos, and committed myself to not cheating the training long runs, I will kick arse in 2007!

I grabbed a icy-pole from the Coolrunner cheer squad at the 35km mark and Jaykay caught me around 36.5km for a little inspirational push along while she ran her Half Mara. I had to let her go as leg cramps demanded a short walking break.

The finishing chute looked so very long till I finally passed under the finish banner. An MC announced my name as I looked over and spotted my family cheering me on. Maybe it was joy or maybe tiredness but I had a very emotional moment then as tears welled in my eyes.

Me finishing complete with a bloody nipple stain.

Details for my first Marathon can be found on Motionbased here.

My injuries from running 42.195kms are a blood blister on my right foot, very tired, stiff legs, the previously mentioned chaffed nipples and a moderate sunburn. Guess who didn't think of sunscreen??

And that is my Melbourne Marathon experience. Not as fast as I wished but I still beat Oprah Winfreys time of four hours, 29 minutes. And even beat Sean "P Diddy" Combs time of four hours, 14 minutes and 45 seconds.

SportsTracks only has my walking distance of 1.3km and a slow 7 minute pace jog of 11km's. A good time to beat for next year.



15 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

Cool, I am the first to congratulate you.

Well done, seriously, I have so much fecking respect for every single marathoner out there today and had a bit of a cry as a few people crossed the line. When I got to about the 15Km point of my half my only though was "thank f%$k I am not doing the marathon", so again, from me, Respect :-)

Loved your report, love you attitude and I am sure you will be back for an even better time next year.

I was talking to JK and Michelle as they finished and I think I may have seen you come thru (the red stain gave it away), but wasn't quite sure without your CR hat.

Hope you got lot's of hugs and kisses from the family (I am sure you did) and that they are looking after you tonight.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Well done Sparks - as Em said, full respect to ANYONE that completes a marathon.

At least now you have a benchmark and you know what you need to do for next time (which incudes taping up those nipples - ouch!)

Enjoy a well earnt rest, you deserve it :-)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Great report SD and a great effort, even if it didn't go quite to plan - YOU DID IT! Congratulations on joining the "marathon club" - you're "one up" on a lot of us!

Totally agree with Em, have so much respect and admiration for anyone who has completed a marathon. Reading all of these reports just makes me more determined to get there one day!

Put your feet up and enjoy a well deserved rest now - glad to hear you are already looking forward to next year!

Congrats, MAR.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Good on you SD. Thanks for sharing that anthem moment - very special.

I can remember all too well what that sort of a marathon feels like.

Amazing that you were thinking about 2007 before you'd finished! With the right training I'm sure you will kick arse.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Ruune said...

Well done SD. What a great achievement to finish the marathon!!

7:53 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Woooohoooo congratulations Sparks - your first big M under your belt.

I'm guessing you learned a few lessons about the virtues of vaseline and sunscreen.

One step closer to that Six Foot dream - you'll get there you know!

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learnt my nipple limits very early on, and always wince in pain when seeing guys with blood patches...Micropore tap is probably the best and cheapest solution.

oh CONGRATULATIONS MARATHONER!

10:35 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Oh you made it just great!! Congratulations for not only finishing but setting a great time!
You walked and still set that time, incredible!!
Recover soon and go on with the journey!! What's next? SFT or you'll wait until next year there?

9:33 AM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

LOUD APPLAUSE!!!!
I am so happy for you :) and I was so pleased to see you run up the chute - you looked strong!
(But I didn'y need to know about your chest hair LOL).
CONGRATULATIONS MARATHONER

9:56 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Not sure what happened to my post before - sorry if it's a repeat. Congrats on your efforts yesterday marathoner! It's been great following your journey. Sadly I didn't see (or recognise) you when you passed our little cheering station along St Kilda Rd. Great report mate - sit back and relax and enjoy the moment :)

11:00 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Huuuuuuge congrats SD!!!! Wow, what a great race report. Considering the tough time you had out there that's a damn good result. I know quite a few runners who have done loads of marathons that would kill to do a 4:13 ... on one of their good days!

And like others I am so impressed by you attitude to kick butt next time!

Enjoy your recovery, you have soooo earned it.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

4:13 is not to be sneezed at and a great attitude for next year's event. I'm surprised you never experienced the old nipple problem in training, but I'm feeling for you, it really hurts.

Sorry we didn't catch up, as you know heaps of people.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you made it babe and I am the proudest wife ever! I have watched you from the very beginning and you have gone from the guy that drank and smoked with no exercise to an absolute athlete. Little by little you ran further and further to the point that at times I thought you may turn into Forest Gump and just keep running!! I have been at most of your races and I was impressed with what you had done but nothing like yesterday! As I saw you coming up towards the finish the tears just welled up and took hold of me. I love you very much and I too have alot of respect. You are my hero :)

7:09 PM  
Blogger beakus said...

Congratulations SD! A fantastic report and a great race, you have a marathon PB. A marathon PB.

4:13 just blows me away. Mucho, mucho, mucho respect.

I love your wife's comment... that's exactly how I felt when my hubs completed his first 1/2M. So proud :oD Just brilliant that you have that support.

B.

4:34 PM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

Fantastic effort, kicking Oprah and P.Diddy butts. Am so very impressed your run- and I did have a little teary reading your gorgeous wife's comments (and about your bleeding nipples).

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home