Sunday, September 17, 2006

10 days since my last Blog

As the title suggest it has been a few days between posts. Only 10 days I hear some of you say, but it has felt a lot longer to me.

The Melbourne Marathon is three weeks away and I have had a little trouble staying motivated.
My race number arrived the other day (go #250!) but I'm finding the training is getting tedious. I'm starting to feel that 42.2km's is a ridicules distance to run and at this stage I think this will be my one and only marathon. The Six Foot Track dream will stay just that, a dream.

20km's is now a comfortable distance and I will be limiting myself to Halfs for quite awhile to come.

Since my last blog I have managed to run 73.9 kilometers including a 32.7km long run today.

This morning was planned to be 36km but after being reduced to a walk at 30km's I decided to call it quits and head home. Todays elevation chart.

The course I chose was fairly hilly and my legs felt so very heavy on the last hill. I knew I shouldn't give in and walk only 2 kilometres from home but it was a struggle to keep going.

In comparison the Melbourne Marathon course follows a coastal road from Frankston to Melbourne and looks a lot flatter. .

Thanks to Raybau from Motionbased for the elevation chart.

I think that with the flat course and race atmosphere on the day I should be fine to run the Marathon distance.

42.2 kilometres I must be nuts!!!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pre-marathon jitters, I think that's normal, especially for your first.

Just remember that you've put heaps of training in and today's run is after many months of hard training.

Come marathon day, you should have reduced your mileage somewhat and should be very, very fresh (fresh legs).

On the day, you'll love it and will be gloating for days following.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Steve is very wise.

So are you, 42.2kms is a rediculous distance to run. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. No matter how long it takes and how much it hurts nothing beats the feeling once you have done it, it is worth every centimeter.

This time in three weeks you will be a member of a very exclusive club :-)

8:55 AM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

you'll have a great day, you'll do something you'd never even dreamed of even a year ago - THEN you'll decide what you want to do next :)

10:28 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

You ARE NUTS Sparks - welcome to the club ;-)

42.2km is absolutely stoooopid but you are gonna just looooooove the feeling of having done it.

Hey and that Six Foot thing - it aint a dream - its a goal you will be ticking off very soon - goforrit mate - Six Foot is just simply stunning!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Yep, I'm sure the atmosphere will make all the difference in the world and - as Steve points out - you will have tapered and have fresh legs on the day.

Sure your feelings are perfectly normal at this point - but it will all be sooooooo worth it when you cross that finish line!

MAR.

2:43 PM  
Blogger beakus said...

Three weeks to go... and it looks like the preparations are going well, even if you feel a bit flat.

Having never attempted a distance like that I've no words of wisdom, but hang in there SD.

So near to the big day! :o)

B.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Em said...

I sympathise I really do. I am doing the half (my 2nd) but my training this time has been more intense and I have not broken it up with any racing. I went though a bad patch about 3 weeks ago as my mileage was sitting around 80Km a week.

Hang in there, you are very close. Maybe have a look at www.runnersworld.com on the right hand side there is a link to an article in the latest issue called Taper Traps, it was a very good read. (this is the US parent to our runners world).

Keep your chin up.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

You'll be fine on the day SD.

It is a long way. The first 25k is usually enjoyable and there's more enjoyement when it's over.

2P is right - 6' is a totally different thing. Lots of enforced walking for a start, so it's nothing like a road marathon. Lots more fun :)

8:22 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

the ups and downs of life and training.

If you don't have any downs you won't appreciate any ups.

Relax it will all be over soon...

9:25 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

No blogging no wonder your feeling bad!
Tap into some liquid encouragement by posting here.We are all eager to steer you well!

Cheers R2B

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home