Monday, September 25, 2006

Getting my Mojo back.

Thanks R2B for the timely reminder. Some more great encouragement would be nice.

Since my last post it has been a struggle to get any running in. Between school holidays, looking after the kids and going to work every afternoon, I just haven't found the time for a run.

I was feeling pretty low about how my marathon training plans had fallen to bits and was considering seeing if I could change my entry category from the Full marathon to the Half.

That was until last Saturday when Sal got home from work early and encourage me to get out for a run.

Oscar and I ran over one of my regular 10km routes and we got back home after 0:49:24. I pushed myself hard and the run did a great job of lifting my spirits.

It has been a long time since Oscar has had a fast run like this and he was pretty stuffed. At my current pace I may have to keep the dog curtailed to 5km distances only.

I know I should be in the 3 week taper period before the big race, but today I wanted to stretch the legs a bit to make up for the last two weeks of slacking off.

I set out alone with out Oscar and ran a 17 kilometres route in 1:27:54. It was an enjoyable run as I was left to my thoughts and lapping up the beautiful spring morning. It averaged out to a 5:10 pace and one I reckon I could maintain over a flat, 42.2km course.

I'm feeling a lot better about Melbourne Marathon now. I figure I will try and stick with a 3:45 pacing group on the day. But if that plan goes pair shaped who cares?? It will only serve to set a good time to beat for 2007!!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK SPARKDRIVER!
Glad you found time for running and blogging :0)
You sound ready for the MM, I heard getting to the finish is 50% Mental so you are half way there!

(ps glad you worked out how to comment on beta and in my spare time I like to make up statistics.)

7:50 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice run Sparks - 3.45 pace group sounds sensible.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Em said...

Was wondering where you got to!!

Relax and enjoy the experience, seems to me you have done plenty of prep, you'll have a great day on the 8th.

10:14 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

welcome back SD.
You only do your first marathon once (well der) so enjoy it and don't get too hung up on your splits etc. 90% of a marathon is getting to the start -ok I just made that up LOL but you have done hepas of work and the day will be such a BUZZ - wait until you come around that final bend and see the Arts Centre Spire, you will feel as though you are flying!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Jaykay said...

Good to see you back at it Sparky!

See you at the finish line!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Yeah good stuff SD. Just don't try to cram in too much now! Its always hard to know how things will unfold on the day, so you have to be prepared to be flexible and adjust your goal to how you are feeling at the time. Just finishing is always a good goal for your first marathon I think! The pace group is definately a good idea, I'd like to try using one if the opportunity ever arose.

Keep it going, MAR.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Good you're back into it after that hiccup SD. The 3:45 group should be pretty cruisey and fun for someone with your speed.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pre-marathon jitters. Nothing wrong with that.

7:12 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Thats what i like to hear SD!

Yep sometimes all it takes to pick up your mood is a nice easy one with no expectations or pressure.

All the "work" is done now and the result is almost crystalised.Be right mentally on the day and you will surely give the best youv'e got.Soon you will be a marathoner.(and i will be a little envious :0)

R2B

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home