Monday, October 02, 2006

Ocean Grove Beach Run


Sundays Long Run

The kids had been staying at Nanna's and Granpa's place for the second week of school holidays in sunny Ocean Grove Vic and on the weekend Sal and I drove down there to pick them up.

I took my running gear with me planning on my last, long run before Melbourne Marathon in six days (oh my god!!!).

Early Sunday morning it was a beautiful Spring start to the day as I headed down towards the beach.

After initially getting a little lost in the unfamiliar Ocean Grove back streets I found myself overlooking Bass Strait.

Ocean Grove beach looking toward Point Lonsdale

The original plan of attack was to run to Point Lonsdale and return. But having never run in sand before, and the Point looking a terribly long way away, I decided it may not have been the smartest choice. I turned west and make my way to the closer looking Barwon Heads.

It was very exhilarating running on the waters edge. The sun was warming my back and there was a slight breeze. The sand felt soft in places and I considered taking off my Kayanos to feel it barefoot. Not wanting to carry my shoes I decided to keep them on my feet.

Making tracks

At the 7km mark I rounded the headland to the mouth of the Barwon River and after having a brief rest I ran back toward Ocean Grove following a coastal road.

It was a little steep getting back to the township and making my way back to our weekend base.


Sundays Long Run Elevation chart.

In the end I completed a very fulfilling 13.8km in 1:11:58.

Further Motionbased details can be found here.

Now I will be enjoing my Taper week before Sundays HUGE race.

100 things list catch up.

Thanks all for your great comments regarding my list. I was starting to worry that I revealed too much of myself but I'm now glad that I did. It was a very cleansing experience.

Please remember that the "Divorce Boy" stuff happened over 20 years ago in 1985/86. A Current Affair or Derryn Hinch would no longer be interested in what I'm doing. It seems like such a long time has passed since then and I am a different person now.

I have only worn the evil Asics Gel Eagles a few times but the last time I hurt my shins badly and was laid up from running for a week. In fairness to the shoes it may not have been entirely their fault, more likely the downhill running I was doing at the time. I will give the evil shoes another chance after the Marathon.

9 Comments:

Blogger Hilda said...

Amazing photos, what an incredible place to run at!

I came back on the right time just to be "close" and know about the marathon, how wonderful!!!!

11:54 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Great run and photos sparks - getting exciting now ;-)

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos SD. See you at the start on Sunday. Oh, nearly forgot, thanks for the words of encouragement over my way.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Hey dude! How about we catch up for a beer at Transport on Sunday after your Marathon. Just take time out somewhere in the last 1/2 of the race to enjoy the moment! Keep an eye out for the Wobblettes and I during the last 10kms on Sunday! You better be wearing CR gear!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Some great photos from the coast, it reminds me of when I was working at Queenscliff for awhile, enjoying many runs around Queenscliff, Pt Lonsdale and surrounding areas.

All the best for Sunday

1:28 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Great photos SD. What a beautiful flat beach for running :)

Hope the taper is going well!

5:11 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:47 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

I wish I could either type or notice my errors before I press 'post'.
Anyway, just wanted to send very best wishes with you on your adventure on Sunday!!!
have a great first marathon :)

8:49 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Best wishes for Sunday SD!
Have fun and i know you willl do well!


Cheers R2B

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home