Thursday, October 12, 2006

After a Marathon the running continues

Since the Melbourne Marathon it has taken around three days for my leg soreness to abate enough to consider going for a run.

This morning I set off early for my regular, 10km circuit. It was shaping up to be a hot, windy day in Melbourne and I arrived back home rather windblown in 0:50:29.

More details can be found on Motionbased.

It is all official now. I ran the 2006 Melbourne Marathon in 4:13:27. In my age group that put me as 238th! One of the funnier moments I recalled from the event was while running/limping up Fitzroy st in St Kilda. I was slowing down and clutching at my thighs when a scruffy looking man, sitting on the gutter drinking from a long necked bottle in a brown paper bag, called out "run through the cramps mate, you are nearly there". He then laughed hysterically. Looked like he was having a great time offering pearls of wisdom. I wonder if he was a previous marathon runner?!?

There is a few race photos floating around from the event. Most are not very flattering and one even has me as walking (so embarrassing). Thanks to Coolrunnings 'MyImages' I have a rather painful looking one of me struggling along.

I have ordered the race finishing photo from Supersportsimages and hopefully that will be arriving soon.

So what next I wonder. It is 12 months till the next Melbourne Marathon and I will have to find some events to run in before then. I am interested in the Echuca Sweat versus Steam on the 19th of November but I am still waiting to see if I will get leave from work to compete in that one.

Until then I will do the Forrest Gump thing and keep on running.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good photo there, looks like you're running a marathon.

I think the trick is, is to get back into it sooner rather than later.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

A 10k run already? Sheez - you must be feeling good! Are you sure that wasn't me in the gutter - doing my horizontal cheering? Can highly recommend Sweat v Steam

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've come so far SparkD, can only keep running from here.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Good to hear you aren't so damaged you can't run again yet. A couple of the Melb Marathoners from Pat's turned up for the session this morning ... I think it was just so they could show off their new MM singlets :-)

2:38 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Yes, keep on running SD - you'll think of something.

I have also running photos that have me looking like a walker - I claim they were taken in a race walk ;)

8:32 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

How could you say embarrasing walking with that time? No way!

Nice you were able to come back so soon to run, keep enjoying!!

6:01 AM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

That's a good photo :)
I haven't run yet but plan to tonight. BTW you say you were walking like it was a bad thing!!!
did you get the blood out of your top?
cheers and WELL DONE again

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great blog. I'm glad I found it. Hope you don't mind, but I think I'll link to it on my blog.

Too bad you don't have a picture of the drinking man on the curb. That would be great to see.

gotta run, Pat

9:35 AM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

Nothing like advice from a man in the gutter - he was probably thinking "what a nutter" and you were probably thinking "what a nutter" !

10:54 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Good come back run Sparks....

10:03 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

your back running again so soon...well done!

R2B

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home