Monday, November 06, 2006

Arthurs Seat Challenge race report

***WARNING-Long post ahead***
We are all back home now from out two night weekend holiday.

Apart from an anoying head cold that I suffered from all weekend our inaugural camping trip was very successful. We learnt a lot of things to take with us on our next getaway.

I completed the short but tough Arthurs Seat Challenge yesterday morning. It was 6.7km in 0:39:33.

The start area was very crowded at 8:15am with many people still registering. I ran into Coolrunnings "Eat 'Em" who expressed he would be surprised if the event got underway at the advertised start time of 8:30am. We wished each other well and he was swallowed up in the crowd.

At Eat 'Ems advice Sal and the kids decided to head off to the finish line at the Arthurs Seat summit sooner rather than later. They also wished me luck and I headed over to the start line.

Gathering on Point Neapen rd I was reminded of many other "for charity" runs I had attended. A race starter mysteriously elevated above the crowd struggling to address 1800 people with a megaphone. I would be surprised if anymore than 50 people managed to hear what he was saying.

I was a little way back from the start line as I watched a plume of smoke, then the delayed CRACK from the starters pistol. The crowd surged forward and the pace increased from a walk to a slow run.

As usual in a tight packed starting line the first 700 metres is used dodging slower runners, getting frustrated by walkers, trying not to get tripped up and sprinting into any gaps.

The first 2 kilometres was pretty flat as I watched the crowd. I was surprised at the amount of kids running but remembered that the race is mainly organized by several local schools. A guy near me seemed to be wearing a skirt and running with no shoes. My thoughts turn to the $200 Asics Kayanos I am wearing and how I need to beat him.

After the flat 2km coastal road you get a good view of the first uphill portion. The road steadily rose ahead for the next 900 metres and I dropped down a gear. I have compared myself to other runners and think I am pretty good on hills with this time being no exception. At a comfortable 5:20 min/km pace (according to the Garminator) I started passing a few other runners.

At the top of the hill the road flattened out then rose up again. Whoops, I wasn't expecting that, but no problem, I was still pushing on. A lot of kids and a few adults were walking at this stage and I looked over my shoulder and could see why. The road looked a lot steeper and longer from the top than it did at the bottom!

The course then dropped down shortly with almost a sigh of relief. At the bottom of the dip was the first aid station. I grabbed a cup of water and slurped a little in my mouth. Mindful of the bloody nipples at the Melbourne Marathon I was careful not to get water on the white, Nike singlet I was wearing.

My finishing photo at the Melbourne Marathon complete with bloody left nipple.

At 3.7km the course entered a dirt road with a gentle incline. "This is nice" I'm thinking to myself as the road winds through some Aussie bush.

500 metres later and we are back on the the bitumen. The grade felt a lot steeper here and I was approaching a road sign that advertised the first of many, tight hairpin turn.

At the third hairpin turn the burning in my legs and stuffy head cold finally caught up with me. I dropped back to a walk to let my breathing catch up. "Wow this is steep" I say to no-one in particular as I stretch my legs to run again.

The walk a little, run a bit continued for the next 2.5kms as I struggled to climb a mountain. I knew this run was up hill but I nevered imagined it to be this steep. My ears start to pop at the elevation and at times I catch glimpses of the awesome views over Port Phillip Bay. I am relieved to notice that I am not the only one walking then running and I have since read on the Ausrun Forum that Eat 'Em, who I consider to be a great runner, had to walk a little too!

At 6km I drink again at the last aid station then run up the final incline. A very welcome downhill followed running through the picturesque Seawinds Gardens.

With a little frustration I had to line up to get over the finishing line. There is a lot to be said for the Windag timing system but I'm sure it is very expensive. This is a charity event with a free T-shirt after all

The elevation and pace chart from the Arthurs Seat Challenge.

Arthurs Seat Challenge on Google Earth.


More details for this event can be found on Motionbased.

Movember

Movember is progressing well with funds raised at $133. Thanks to my friend Laurelin for the latest donation.

A itchy, prickly moustache is very annoying while suffering with a cold and I would not recommend it.

An update picture will follow shortly.



10 Comments:

Blogger Sekhmet said...

You're a brave man - there is no way in hell I'd ever do that fun run!

8:43 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice work on the Challenge - both of em ;-)

9:02 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

So, did you beat the barefoot skirt wearer? Sounds like a good training course for 6'.

Hope you started Garminator on the smoke!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Jeez, what a brutal looking course, glad I stuck with a nice flat long run instead. looking forward to the mo update.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, what a tough course. I can see where it gets its name. Well done!

11:47 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Hard and fun, yes that is a real strong runner, good job!

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wimped out of my 12.5km Hill challenge on Sunday, good on you for doing yours.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

You make running sound so enjoyable

I hope that i get the fitness to run anything longer than 2miles!!!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Great effort SD, enjoyed the report. Sounds like a toughie alright! Glad to hear the camping went well too!

MAR.

6:36 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Very impressive SD!
Hills can be so hard at times (all the time!)
I am having to do hill sessions so i can be prepared for 6 Foot and i am still worried everytime i look at the elevation chart!

Excellent little adventure away from home and well executed to get the race in (i am sure this was the motivation?)

Cheers R2B

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home