Tuesday, October 31, 2006

What are the chances???

Just a couple of training runs to report.

Last Friday I ran my regular 10km local loop in a quick 0:48:36. I was very impressed to see all my km splits below 5 minutes and feel I am getting back to my former pace.

This morning I had another 6:30am start for my 10km run and this time I ran the loop in reverse. Once again it was another quick 0:48:39 and I feel a lot better now for making the effort and going for a run.

My race pack for this Sundays Arthurs Seat Challenge has arrived with a very strange coincidence.

When I opened the race pack I was sure that the race number of 0727 looked familiar.

Seeing as I have kept all my previous race numbers I went through my old ones and was surprised to find that the Olympic Dream from last year also had 727!

What are the chances of that happening? Has it happened to anyone else?

Taking it as a sign of good things I am looking forward to this weekends run.

It also made up my mind to enter in this years Olympic Dream on Sunday the 19th of November. The course has been changed considerably to a 5 km loop and you now have to pay for the medals. But I will enter because I still want to set an official sub 50 minute 10km time for a preferred start in the 2007 Run for the Kids.



Late Edit: My monthly total for October was pretty dismal. 118.8km is one of my lowest months. I suppose there is something in this "post marathon blues" business. No excuses for next month. Time to kick arse!

9 Comments:

Blogger LBTEPA said...

That's wild!
Well done on getting back into it. I was wavering about the Olympic Dream (stupid course and all) until I realised it's the day after Noddie's 3rd birthday so we will be in post-party mode. Go for that sub 50 mate, you will blitz it :)
BTW thanks for the lovely comment on my page

12:18 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

I always think mine are the same number but when I check I'm wrong ;-)

"The 727 proved very successful with airlines worldwide partly because of its capability to take off and land on smaller runways while still flying medium range routes" - I think it's a sign that you should only run crowded half marathons from now on :-)))

Great to see you getting in some good runs.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

118km doesn't seem too shabby to me...and with good speed!

2:42 PM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

How many race numbers have you collected? I have kept all mine, but sadly there are only four so far. Good luck for the Arthur Seat run.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Yes, the Elite Director usually reserves #1 for me ;)

I reckon an 10 to 12 minute Olympic Dream PB is on the cards.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

That is very cool - what a coincidence :-)

Great to see you getting your mojo back - good luck at Arthur's Seat, I think I fear that one even more than the hills for Puffing Billy! I'm not sure that I could even muster a walk up to Arthur's Seat.....

5:18 PM  
Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

118odd ks, is amazing...especially if you are me and dont run!!!

i did go on a 20mile (bout 32ks) cycle on sat though

keep up the excellent work!!!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Spooky!

don't fret about October, mine was less than steller as well, I think everyone who ran on the 8th deserved to take it easy.

Onwards and upwards, have a ball on Sunday, looking forward to the report.

9:49 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

The chance of this occurring is the chance of getting a certain number in one race multiplied by the chance of getting the same number in the second race. Let's say for arguments sake that there were 800 people in each event, then the odds of getting 727 are 1 in 800 for each separate event and 1 in 640000 for both events. It gets a bit more complicated if you take into account your event registration behaviour (ie you might always enter at a certain period of number availability) and the pool of numbers available for each event (ie it might not start at 1).

I must stop procrastinating.

Good luck in Movember.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home