Thursday, December 07, 2006

A local 12k run.

Yesterday instead of heading out for the regular 10km circuit, I thought I would just follow the road and try something different.

There is a couple of lakes in a nearby estate that I have been thinking of exploring lately. I know how to get there by car but it is a pretty boring, straight drive. I wanted to build up some kilometers and see some new scenery at the same time so after quickly consulting street-directory.com.au I headed off in the general direction.

I ran along meandering through the local suburban streets slowly finding my way. I hadn't been in this part of town before and it was interesting looking around the area.

Patting myself on the back for my good sense of direction I stumbled on to the first, of two lakes I was looking for.


This area is known as Berwick Springs. It is made up of several man-made waterways, created by land developers to pretty up open grazing farmland, and charge top dollar for properties with 'water views'. The region is now approaching 10 years old and the local council has looked after it well. It is nicely presented and frequented by heaps of water birds, an asset to the local area.

I ran a loop of the second lake and head back to home following the main road.


All up The Garminator recorded the distance as 12.75kms. I completed it in 1:03:41 setting an average pace of 4:59 minutes per kilometre.

More details can be found on Motionbased.

The rest of the day felt really good after this run. That was until I got to work later in the evening and sat in a train cab for over an hour. I tried to walk some stairs and tightness shot up and down my right knee and outside shin. Reminding myself that I should take more time to warm up before a big run. A couple stretches while waiting for the Garmin to get a satellite lock is probably not enough (not to mention sitting at the computer, downloading data, straight after a run!).

8 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

I suppose you are still on high alert with the fire situation.

We had Melbournite Downunder Runner join us this morning for a run, she's here for a week. She's doing Shepperton HIM on Sunday and was telling us all about the nice warm weather they are expecting.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Looks like a lovely spot, even more amazingly there is water in the lake!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

that looks really pretty!! i went for a run on sat and did 5 miles along the river. (thats 8kms!!0 no stopping and the best bit was NO pain!!!

12:38 AM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

Love the new photo :)

10:27 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice run Sparks - those lo cal ones are good for weight loss too :-)

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like some good quality dirt track there, something that SW subs is sadly lacking.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Looks like a nice place to run SD - lovely dirt track... a pity your Garminator map shows it is only short. Maybe laps?

5:24 PM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

Hope the legs are okay- I always get calf twinges for getting straight into the car and not stretching afterwards. Hope you firey buddies are all okay.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home