Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year

Welcome back all. I hope everyone had a safe and happy festive week.

For Christmas I bought myself my first MP3 player. I was looking for one that I can use running and also for work so I decided on the Sony S203F. Purpose built for running it has 1gb of memory and a built in FM tuner. I picked it up last week and have had fun playing with it since.

After quickly loading a few songs into it I went for a run over my regular 10km circuit last Thursday. It occurred to me that with the MP3 player and Garmin Forerunner, I was running with $650 worth of equipment strapped to my left arm. Feeling like a cross between the Six Million Dollar Man, and Star Treks 'The Borg' I ran along to the sounds of Wagner, Young Divas and Eminem. I think my playlist needs some more fine tuning and any recommendations will be cheerfully added.

All my children are now over the Chicken Pox epidemic that swept through the house. With a little complaining last week they rode their bikes while following me on a short 5km run. They enjoyed themselves at initially but struggled on the first hill. I had a great run though and look forward to more family bike/run outings.

With Fire Brigade duties, hot weather and Chicken Pox as some of my many reasons, I am full of plenty of excuses of why I have done so very low kilometres in December.

Instead I will concentrate on the 1814.8 kilometres that I have run in 2006. Considering the the road distance from Melbourne to Brisbane is 1669km I think my yearly total is a great achievement. Also a very promising total to beat in 2007.

9 Comments:

Blogger MorseyRuns said...

Good luck with chasing the total next year- I think all your reasons for December are very valid and certainly better than mine (too much eating and drinking).

5:08 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

Hey SD - Happy New Year! Glad that the troops are healthy again - hope it stays that way. Congrats on the fantastic annual run total - that is huge!!!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Yes, you are definitely worth mugging :-)

Congrats on the great year. I guess the target for 2007 is upwards of 2000. Hmmm, maybe a minimum of 2007 in 2007!


PS My first song suggestion to you is in my latest blog entry :-)

6:04 PM  
Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

Happy new years!

I think that its def the right attitude to give yourself some slack for xmas and concentrate on how amazingly you have done through the rest of the year!

well done and i hope this year is the best one yet.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

This year you might make it to Rockhampton - that's even further away from Melbourne ;)

Glad the family is better. Thanks for breaking the drought.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

1,800kms is a great achievement Sparks! Well done!! I hope we can catch up for that long awaited beer after the Kids run in April!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

I run with electronic music, that way I can follow a better rythm than with slow songs.
Check trance party albums, if available where you are...

2:53 PM  
Blogger Jadey said...

I was getting ready to go to the gym the other day and my sweet Mum commented on how it looked like I must have some major heart problem or something. Essential items, iPod on my arm, Polar F11 on my wrist, chest strap ok we are ready! Dont forgetthe towel, water bottle, workout gloves, gel seat (If I'm riding) training journal. I always manage to forget something. lol

2:17 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Hope it is a great year for you SD. Getting the kids out there on their bikes is good for everyone, keep it up. I look forward to when my daughter gets a bit faster and can pace me into a faster run, right now I sometimes have to push her on the hills, but its still good fun and good resistance training I guess!

MAR.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home