Thursday, February 01, 2007

January totals

As some of you would know that aside from my work as a volunteer firefighter my main occupation, the one that pays the bills, is a Train Driver.

Unfortunately last Tuesday the 23rd I was involved in an incident while driving my train. I won't go into details of the incident on this open forum but if you would like to know more feel free to email me here.

This incident has me on sick leave for a few weeks but yesterday I had to head into my managers office at Flinders St Station to catch up on some paperwork.

I took my running gear with me so when the work commitments where completed I went for a sunny Melbourne day run.

I started at Flinders St Station and crossed over to Southbank, then I ran an anti-clockwise lap of the Yarra to the Grange Rd bridge and return.

It was just after midday when I started the run and I was surprised as always by the amount of 'lunch time' runners out enjoying the day.

I completed the 11.9km run in 1:01:27. More Motionbased details can be found here.

This run, plus a 10km run on Monday brings my January total to 133.27kms. I'm a lot happier about this total compared to the previous few months and feel I am getting back on track.

For the first time I even feel like I have done enough work to justify the week off running while working with the C.F.A at Swifts Creek.

At the end of January my Run to Rockhampton totals has me staying Avenel Vic.

This small rural town lies in the heart of wine country in the Goulburn River Valley. It is also the childhood home of one of Australias most famous outlaws, Edward (Ned) Kelly. Ned Kelly's father, Red Kelly, is buried in town.

11 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Mate I hope all is well.

Nice work with getting back on track with the running - I mean with fire duties and work it obviously hasn't been the easiest month for you.

Keep it going in Feb ;-)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Hope what occurred on the 23rd wasn't too distressing. I've heard about some of the terrible things that happen that the public aren't made aware of.

Glad you are feeling back on track.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Sorry to hear about the incident at work - hope it all turns out OK.

Are you on target for Rocky? It'd be terrible to have to run a few 140k weeks in the last month!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

Well done on continuing to run even when you have been so busy. thats great! i hope that what ever happened is resolved soon. :S

*hugs*

9:56 PM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

Hey good work on the lunchtime run- it is going to be way too hot for midday runs in the next few days. Enjoy Avenel.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think that's wonderful that you did your run in spite of the upset at work. It's the best medicine when things go wrong; I hope all is well by now.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Jadey said...

Geez hun I hope all is ok. Sounds a bit rough if you need to take time off work.

12:02 AM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

Gosh I hope you are ok soon - at least you are well enough to run (and post a v impressive total for Jan 07!)

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you getting out there after a traumatic incident (my assumption). I hope all goes well with your recovery.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Hey Sparks - hang in there buddy - scanned the news but couldn't find anything. I hope all is well. Might be a good opportunity to give the Capital City Trail a go - or parts of it anyway?

2:19 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Just catching up SD and sorry to hear that (work) life hasn't been all plain sailing. Sounds like you have handled it well tho. Running is certainly some of the best medicine around.

MAR.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home