Sunday, January 28, 2007

Just when you need a power song...

While out on my 17km long run today the random cycle of my Sony Walkman selected the live version of AC/DC, Dirty Deeds (Done Dirt Cheap).

This power song came at just the right time. I was at the 13.5km mark and struggling at the top end of a long hill. Those fine vocal cords of Brian Johnson and lead guitar rifts of Angus Young gave me the extra lift needed to finish off my tough Sunday long run.
More Motionbased details can be found here.
Elevation chart of todays long run.

Today's run and another 12km run earlier in the week brought my yearly total to 111.2km's. According to my map on MapMyRun this has me approaching the Victorian town of Seymour.

The area of Seymour was surveyed in 1843 and named by the explorer Thomas Mitchell after the British parliamentarian Lord Seymour, the son of the 11th Duke of Somerset.

When Lord Kitchener came to Australia in 1910 to advise the government on military matters, he inspected a major encampment at the racecourse and recommended it as a permanent military training area. When World War 1 arrived, a few years later, the permanent camp was set up and, in 1920, Seymour Shire became the chief military area in the state. This ultimately led to the establishment of the Puckapunyal training camp in World War II.

With only three days left in January I am a little behind my 165km a month target. Hopefully it is something I can make up for later.

9 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Lol and it's not like you have to concentrate on remembering the lyrics either ;-)

Nice work mate.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Yeah, love it when the right song comes on at just the right time. I'm sure my iPod is physic!

I only have the small bottles on my Fuelbelt, but this is no help when I don't take it with me when I should - like yesterday...!

Happy running, MAR.

9:46 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

I love your distance goal SD!

Top work and nice to visit you again after a long absence from blogland!

Cheers R2B

1:15 AM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

165km a month! you are steaming along!
and thanks for mentioning the song - I am going to put it on my mp3 tonight :)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

WTG Sparks - I got that one on my list too.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I can remember this huge hill on the old highway somewhere near Seymour. Hope it's behind you :)

8:41 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

the right song does make a big difference. I have way too many songs from the 70's on my ipod.

You asked about the three lights at the interchange in one of my photos. The two on the right are for the right two lanes and they just tell drivers to stop, slow down and go. The one on the left is for the left turn lane. Arround here we have a green left turn arrow that comes on either before or after the rest of the traffic goes straight. Depends on which town, as to if it's a lagging left. I'm sure you're more confused now.

3:58 AM  
Blogger beakus said...

Psychic music players strike again!

165k target, nice one SD, doing great! And I am sure you'll recover the shortfall over the year. I guess this time of year is always going to be an unpredictable one for you being fire season.

Btw, I never did post about the bushfires - being fairly new to this country it's something that scares the s**t out of me, and I am nowhere near them. So much respect for what you and the other firefighters have been doing SD, and thanks for giving us an inside perspective on things. Humbling stuff.

B.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Thanks for another great history/geography lesson. I've often wondered why explorers named places after pollies so often, maybe they got some sort of kickback.

Great music there too. How could you not push yourself harder when AC/DC come on!

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home