Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Gatorade has how many calories?!?

Today I went for my "better late than never" long run.
Should have really done this 17km run over the weekend but with Melbourne's hot weather I decided to hold it off till it was cooler.
In the end I ran 16.95kms distance in a route PB of 1:28:43.
Garminator and the Motionbased agent won't synchronize at the moment so no further details are available currently.
This long run has me alongside Euroa on my road to Rockhampton.
In December of 1878 the outlaw Ned Kelly and his gang robbed the Euroa branch of the National Bank. They made of with 2000 pounds in cash and gold with the bank manager, his mother, wife, seven children, two servants and two tellers as hostages. All hostages were released later saying that their captors had behaved very "gentlemanly".
The Government of Victoria then increased the rewards on the heads of the Kelly Gang to £1000 each, and military guards were posted on all banks in the north-eastern district.
My wife Sal, and I watched the second episode of Australia's The Biggest Loser last night and the show has sent me on a calorie hunting mission.
I found a website called the Calorie King that will give the calorie count of just about everything imaginable. I had a browse through and looked up some things and it was with great surprise and shock to learn that a 600ml bottle of Gatorade has 150 calories!That is 15 more calories than a McDonalds Hash Brown (135calories)!!

Downing a bottle of Gatorade after a run has been one of my favourite past times. Might as well have been shoveling in a Hash Brown instead!

7 Comments:

Blogger Sekhmet said...

Well, the gatorade has the advantage of no fat but sadly it is still chockers with calories. I won't touch it unless I have done a "hard" or "long" session. Anything an hour or less, easy, just doesn't warrant it

I guess it depends on your goals too, but if weight loss is one of them, ditch the sugary sports drinks!

4:54 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

The hash brown is also lower GI :-)

As a rule I never drink sports drinks in or after training (or gels etc) - the only exception being I use them on my long runs from about 6 weeks out from my target race to make sure I'm used to using them.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Thanks for another interesting history lesson :-)

You haven't sold me on the Macca's hash browns. Now if it was Gatorade vs Tim Tams ....

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't get stuck into the Gatorade unless I have sweat enough to form salt crystals on my skin or after the long run, 'coz you do need to replace the salts.

But instead of full strength I buy the powder and make it up half strength.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Those were the days when bank robbers weren't junkies.

Talking about junk I usually stay away from Maccas but surprised about the Gatorade too.

Thanks for the info

12:35 AM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

I have ditched the sugary drinks and the juices for the same reason- and someone told me that it is a killer for your teeth too.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

yeah sometimes 'diet/health' food is as bad in calories as unhealthy food. but as they say 'every thing in moderation and nothing is bad for you'

i have lost my first 10kgs (and have kept it off for the last two months... no gaining for me :D )with out counting a single calorie,point,fate percentage.

although personally i dont liek to 'waste' calries on drinks. food is much more fun ;)

so dont fret about it too much

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home