Thursday, February 15, 2007

Dirty shoes

Most will be happy to know that the new Kayanos that I posted about earlier are now dirty.


I have clocked up 41 km's since buying them last week and they even have an impressive looking blood stain!

Yesterday the left shoe rubbed my ankle the wrong way allowing a little claret to spill onto the sock and shoe. Nothing that a well placed band-aid won't fix.

This extra 41 kilometers brings my quest of running from Melbourne to Rockhampton to the town of Benalla.

Seeing as I am in the middle of "Kelly" country I will share some more Bushranger history.

In 1869, a 14-year-old Ned Kelly was charged in the Benalla courthouse for assaulting and robbing a Chinaman named Ah Fook (I bet that is what he said when young Ned tried to rob him). Ned was later found not guilty due to the lack of evidence.

Ned Kelly reappeared at Benalla courthouse in 1877, charged with being drunk and disorderly and riding a horse on the footpath. After a fracas on the way to the courthouse additional charges emerged - assaulting a policeman in the course of his duty, resisting the police and damaging a constable's uniform. He emphatically claimed the police had doped his liquor (I'm sure that has happened to me before?!?). He didn't get away with this one though. He was fined 2 pounds and ordered to pay costs.

P.S. I recently entered in and paid for my first Great Train Race. I hope to meet some of my regular readers there.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's not forget that Ned Kelly was a criminal, nothing more nothing less.

Why he is so revered is beyond me.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Being a cop killer I believe Ned was the worst type of criminal and I don't mean to glorify him or his actions. But his antics make up the most interesting part of the history in the area I am "travelling" through at the moment.
Who wants to hear about sheep farming and goldfields?

2:02 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

I'd forgotten he started his life of crime so young. Or maybe that was just the first time he was caught!

2:53 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Good to see the Kayanos clocking up some k's Sparks. Nice work.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm sheep farming and goldfields, maybe you could stretch the truth a little, make it more interesting.......lol

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, Ah Fook, LOL

Hmm, I am descended from Irish and Cornish convict stock myself so I guess I have some empathy with Ned, but I won't open that can 'o worms.

Blood on the Kayano's hey, you hardcore man :-)

7:24 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Ah Fook, that's not dirty! You need to run on the drought enhanced dusty trails around Mt Ainslie ;) The blood wouldn't even show up!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

So you want to be faster than a locomotive. I am still planning on racing my train the entire way.

Good luck,
Pat
Arizona, USA

2:57 PM  
Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

yay for muddy shoes.

although mine (still fairly new) are very scuffed and muddy laready *blushes* ah well. they are good shoes. :D

2:13 AM  
Blogger Jadey said...

See I'm the total opposite. I am a clean shoe freak. The Brooks are still clean a month later and I hope to keep them that way. Muddy or grotty trails shall be left to the old Shox.

Benalla is a bit of alright. Winton Raceway is there also and that's adds a bit of cool to the town.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

I like my shoes to be a little bit grubby so it at least looks like I run in them LOL

BB and I will see you at the GTR - I'm going to get my entry posted this week - yay!

9:28 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Blood on the shoes shows character!
I like it!
My newest Kayanos are unfortunately falling apart as i don't think they are made for bush bashing....

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home