Thursday, May 18, 2006

A plan is formed.

  1. Spare Time?..........................CHECK
  2. Something to write about?.....CHECK
  3. Coffee?..................................CHECK

Time to Blog

Thanks Alisonjc for the reminder. It has been a little while since I have posted. Family and work commitments have taken precedence this week and I haven't found the time till now.

I have had a few runs lately. I ran to our friends place on Saturday afternoon. This course is just a short 6km and Oscar and I completed it in 0:27:36. It was a pretty quick pace considering my left quadriceps was still playing up.

The second eBay present of the Fuelbelt arrived on Monday so I eagerly set out early Tuesday morning to try it out. I ran a 15km route in the cool, foggy morning and completed it in 1:20:36. I have never run with fluids before and it took a little practice to sip from the small 7oz bottles without spilling it all down my front. I could feel the difference staying hydrated when I arrived home. Not feeling the need to guzzle down 2 bottles of water soon as I walk in the door.

Yesterday morning I ran my 20.8km course. It has been just under 3 weeks since I have run this distance and I was a little anxious about the result. I set up the Fuelbelt with water, house keys and mobile phone (turned off) and left a very miserable Oscar behind. About 5 minutes into the run I realized that I had forgotten to lube up with the Bodyglide! I remembered all the trouble I had last time I ran in these shorts without Bodyglide and I considered turning back. But there was no irration at that stage so I pushed on.

I ended up completing the 20.8km distance in 1:51:57. This is about 5 minutes off my best time and I was exhausted. I need to pace myself a little better with the water as the last 3km I was empty, and felt that I really needed a drink then. I am happy to say though that I had no chaffing as a result of forgetting to Bodyglide. I must have lost a bit of weight off my upper thighs reducing this problem.

I have made a training plan for the next week and a bit leading up to the Half on the 28th. Tonight at work I will do a speed session on the treadmill with a 11.6km run tomorrow morning. A rest day on Saturday followed by a long run on Sunday. Then I plan to taper down to the weekend with a 15km on Monday, 11.6 on Tuesday and some more treadmill work and a couple of 5km runs around the block. I will rest on Saturday before the big event. This plan will probaly get all stuffed up but I will try to follow something that resembles it.

My wife Sal would like to pass on her thanks for all your congratulations regarding her new job. It was very touching and she hopes to be able to jab a needle in all of you very soon :-)

9 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

Thats awesome Sparkie! Good thing to check out the hydrating habits before the race...you are going to do awesome...and a sub 30 6K? whooooooo

2:08 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Good to see the return to service ;-)

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't image running without my fuelbelt for 20+ km runs. It's just habbit now. You'll get use to it.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Oscar needs a fuelbelt too. He could put some dog bikkies in the pouch.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I do worry about Oscar and hydration. That is another reason why he is not suited for the long runs.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Simlin said...

Look forward to reading your successful race report and impressive time, which I am sure you will set. Good Luck! and I got to get me one of those fuelbelts!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Simlin said...

and you got is soooo cheap too...I should keep my eye out more often!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

The fuelbelt's a must in summer. Good numbers for the 20.8k SD.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Hmmm, not sure I want Sal jabbing me with a needle, it would mean I was sick or something - eek!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home