Friday, May 12, 2006

Muscle pain

Oscar and I went for a run on Wednesday. It was over our 11.6km route and we completed it in 0:58:09.

I had received one of my eBay presents. The Nike dri-fit Your the Run that I Want t-shirt had arrived and I must admit I love it. The loose fit (I got a x-large, could have worn a large) and the bright yellow colours have me so impressed that I pushed a little bit harder on this run. Maybe more harder than I should have after my slack week and a half.

So it was inevitable that when we got back home I found that I had hurt my leg! I could feel tightness and pulling in the outside and front of my upper leg muscle. We have done some research and we think I have strained my left quadriceps. It was very sore on Thursday and I was even limping getting around at work during the day. I have been resting and massaging in some dencorub heal gel in the evenings and it has slowly been feeling better. I had planned on going for a run today but after we walked the kids home from school I felt some twinges and tightness in the area and decided to give it one more days rest before going out for a short run. This development is very annoying 2 weeks from my half marathon debut. I feel I should be at the peak of my training and not resting a bloody sore leg.

On a happier note my wife Sally got a job today!! She has wanted a change of industry after being in food preparation, particularly fast food, since leaving school. She has been out of the work force for over the past year and a half studying to be a Pathology Collector, the people that take blood test, ECG's and all that interesting stuff. Today she received a phone call from a leading Pathology clinic telling her that she was successful in her first job interview in over seven years. Congratulations Sal!

10 Comments:

Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Injuries, injuries, you're a real runner now.

Great news for Sal.

It's Steve, I'm in the process of changing details and eventually moving away from blogger

12:45 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Don't sweat SD even a two week complete rest won't take more than a few percent of your fitness away.This is from statistics taken by exercise physiologists.I have had a strain like that from running fast downhill and it worried me but cleared up after a couple of days off and some dencorub type stuff.
Your first half will be awesome!Don't forget to warm down afterwoods as this was my major mistake and i couldn't walk properly for days :-)

7:28 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Yey Sal!!!!! Yey Oscar!! and you did good too Sparkie! Patience with the leg and it should be ready in two week..and at this point, missing the odd run isn't going to hinder you (or so I'm told).

8:11 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Don't over stress and just rest for some days, as R2B says.

Don't give up, you will be ready!!

Congratulation to your wife!!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Woohoo - congrats to Mrs Sparkie. Just don't mention needles okay?

10:42 AM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Hope the leg comes good soon :(

Good on Mrs Sparkdriver!!! I used to work in pathology and as a collector she'll find it hard to ever be out of work that's for sure!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Funny how things start hurting in the build up to a big race, you find you have muscles etc you didn't know you had :-) I'm sure its nothing too serious and if you look after it you will be 100% on race day.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Like Tess said, things always start to go wrong the nearer you get to a race! I'm sure you'll have a great run.

Congrats to Mrs Sparkdriver! Hope she likes her new job.

8:19 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Woohoo Sal - you get to work with the blood - but Sparks has the big heart to pump it!

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sparkdriver! Long time no pst - how are things going?
Best wishes for the Half - you will be sensational I am sure.

Cheerio

alisonjc

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home