Wednesday, April 12, 2006

20.8 kilometres

This morning I prepared for my 20.8km training run that I had measured out yesterday.

Oscar spotted me walking around the house with my Coolrunning cap on so he knew something was up. He was sitting at the sliding door having a little sook when I explained to him that it was going to be a big run. Oscar replied, "no problem. Can we go now?" So we put on his harness and dog and I set off.

The route we were taking I haven't run over before. It follows a few main roads and the running surface changes from grassy nature strips and bitumen road to gravel and concrete footpaths. I didn't want to bite off too much at first so I choose a relatively flat course.

I started to feel the kilometres after the 1 hour and 20 minute mark. It may have been more in my mind as the longest I have run for so far is for 1:20ish.

Oscar followed along very loyally and we completed 20.8km in 1:51:19.

Getting home I stretched and re-hydrated on water then got motivated to mow the lawns.

My quads feel a little sore now but that may be from the lawn mowing. Otherwise I feel great and am pretty happy for myself. I think a full marathon is a long way off but now I know that I can complete the half distance.

7 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Yeah you want to give that lawn mowing caper away ;-)

Congratulations on breaking the 20k barrier - not a bad time either.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Simlin said...

It is a nice feeling knowing you can run the distance. In terms of giving the lawn mowing caper away - You can pay people to mow the lawn for you...but you can't pay people to run for you!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Nice job there, it looks like your dog is a real great company.

I love that sensation too, you just go one day and see you can make it, but it means you have worked strong enough before!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Moving up in the world, congratulations.....see you at Williamstown....

11:34 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

That damn dog still kicking my ass! Well done Oscar, and Spark.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

that is impressive! good on oscar!! (hehe and you too!!)

2:41 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

A 20.8k training run - you'll cruise the half marathon! Well done. I can't believe little Oscar can run that far!!!

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home