Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Chasing Kenyans

Oscar and I just got home from our 15km run with a blistering time of 1:15:39! That is 5:05 minutes off my previous best time! It was tough going and surprisingly a lot of concentration to keep a decent pace up.

I watched the mens 5000 metre last night on TV and that left me very inspired for this mornings run. I imagined Oscar as a little Kenyan I was chasing down and that helped me keep my pace. I'm sure if I was racing Kenya's Augustine Choge he would be back home, watching Foxtel, while I would be still struggling up my first hill!

We went to watch the Marathon on Sunday and that was a great day. We first set up camp in front of the Arts Centre and watched the ladies pass at the 0:51:00 mark then stayed to watch the mens leaders at 0:47:00. A little excitement when Namibia's Beata Naigambo collapsed in front of us. She was attended to at the scene and taken away in an ambulance. I read a snippet that she was in a stable condition in hospital Sunday night.

We then went and moved in front of the boathouses on the banks of the Yarra river. We watched Kerryn McCann and Kenyan Hellen Cherono Koskei pass in 2:07:00. Very exciting to watch a Aussie leading at that stage of the event. I'm sure all readers now know that Kerryn went on to win in 2:30.53. It still gives me chills thinking about her stunning victory.

I also spotted and said hi to a fellow Coolrunner. Courtly Love was proudly wearing her Coolrunning cap and we chatted shortly. I notice that she has a blog as well but hasn't posted for awhile. Time now to go and leave her a message.

5 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

WOW - what a great pace Sparks. Well done mate ;-)

12:02 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Sparks i want to add the about me and counters etc as you have on the right side of your blog how do i do that?

Cheers R2B

9:42 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Ps Oscar must be loving all this exercise...lucky dog!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I want to see Oscar!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

You lucky thing! Must've been so exciting seeing the marathoners so close. Obviously you caught some of their speed - great time for your 15k 'training' run!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home