Sunday, February 26, 2006

I can jump puddles

Yesterday a cool change came over Melbourne after two days of 35 degrees.

We had a huge thunderstorm roll through just as I was finishing work at 2pm.

We normally get a few firecalls during and after storms. Car accidents due to the changing road conditions and fire alarms being set off by a flickering power supply. I sat the storm out at the Fire Station waiting for a call but luckily there wasn't any.

The family and I were going to a friends place in the evening so when the storm cleared I headed home. I had ran to their place before on New Years Day and decided it would be great to do it again.

Oscar and I set off racing the family in the car. They passed us after 5 minutes just as we left the estate. With cheers of "Go Dad!" ringing in my ears I set out to beat my previous time of 32:30 minutes.

It is a mostly concrete footpath with around 2km of sandy trail. The sand surface was very wet and I could feel the mud flicking on my legs. With the splashing in some puddles and jumping over the bigger ones it was a very fun session.

On arriving at our destination We found we had stripped over three minutes of our previous time completing the 6km one way trip in 28:50 minutes. A thrilling result after having a couple lazy days.

Last Friday I registered my entry for the Run for the Kids. $20 of the $25 entry fee is a donation to the Children's Hospital and even tax deductible. My wife is going to be walking the 4.5km with a few friends so I entered her registration as well. Good luck Sal!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, congrats on the great run. 3 minutes faster is awesome. Must've been the mobile cheersquad that gave you a boost - how cute :-) Gosh, Oscar must be loving this!

That's fantastic that so much of the entry fee goes to charity. I'm sure in the Aus Day run it was just $1 out of our $25 or so.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Congrats on a big PB there Spark! Wish I could make the Run for the Kids run but unfortunately I will be away. I'm sure its going to be a great run!

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done mate - I was talked into doing the R4TK this morning after doing the Sri Chinmoy 10k at Princes Park. apparently the CRs are thinking of planning some kind of get-together afterwards so everyone can catch up. Should be fun!
anyway keep it up, cheerio

alisonjc

3:54 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice run Sparks - I always enjoy a good splash about! Nice training PB too ;-)

9:57 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Nice to have the whole family running in the same event!

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home