Friday, February 10, 2006

Two runs and a house fire

Oscar and I went for our speed session on Tuesday morning. A 2km run for a warm up then a few laps at the local oval. The oval has 6 drain covers evenly spaced so we sprint to one, jog to the next one. After four laps I'm feeling rather buggered so we called it a day and ran the scenic, 3km route back home.

Yesterday we hit our regular 11km course. No PB's set but a steady time of 54:48 achieved.

Last night I had just gotten to bed at 12:40am when my pager went off. It was a fire call for a shop sign burning. I quickly got dressed then drove to the station. Our Pumper turned out just when I arrived so I quickly dressed in my turn-out gear.

I jumped in the drivers seat of the Tanker and with two other Firefighters in the front cab we followed the other truck to the call.

Narre Warren and Hampton Park's pumper beat us on scene and the fire was well out when we arrived. Fire had damaged an electric sign on the awning of the premises and we stayed a little while isolating the power.

Back at the station I hanged around talking crap with the others (as you do hehe) when another call came in.

This one was for a house fire in the neighboring suburb of Berwick.

We all hurriedly piled into the truck and after a quick lights and sirens run arrived to find a house with dark smoke billowing from the front door.

I grabbed a hose line and went up to the house while two others donned breathing apparatus (BA). The female resident was lying at the front door catching her breath and a neighbor was seeing to her. My Officer in Charge and I checked to see if they were ok then concentrated on the fire.

I passed the hose to Harro and Tony who were wearing BA. Then crouching down at the front door I held on the home owners dog. The poor little bugger was shaking and scared, trying to get back inside.

The fire was quickly extinguished once Harro and Tony got water on to it. A rapid search revealed no-one else inside and the ambulance treated and drove the lady to hospital for smoke inhalation.

I was told the damage was minimal. Kept to the main bed and a bedside table it was a good save. If it had gone much longer it could have really taken hold.

Early unconfirmed reports say that the fire may have been caused by cigarette smoking materials. Another good reason why not too smoke.

I eventually crawled into bed at 4:30am.

I haven't heard if the lady is ok yet. We don't usually get that information but I'm sure she was fine. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything different.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Nice one Spark Driver ! A Running & putting out fires blog. I like it !

3:37 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Not a bad time for 11k Sparks.

Good job with the fire too ;-)

You should do the Six Foot Track Marathon so you can enter in the firies championship.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I have been checking out the Six Foot web site with interest. Having never run a marathon before I don't think I would be ready anytime soon.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Oscar must be getting faster with all that speedwork! Oh, and you too. You're gonna have to think of a more appropriate blog title the way you are going.

Wow, what an incredible few hours with those fires. How do you remain on the ball at that hour??? Bloody cigarette smokers! Hopefully she's smoked her last one.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home