Friday, January 27, 2006

A cool, night time run.

I had been planning on a night run for a long time. I work all afternoon shifts and don't often get home from work till after 12am. With the high temperatures Friday, a cool change and the need to have a late night (will explain later), Oscar and I set off for our inaugural after midnight run.

It was 1am, still a little humid with the irregular flash of a far off thunderstorm. Felt very good to be running in the occasional light shower and we where setting a fine pace. When we first left home I was originally planning on a 6.1km run. But when we got to the junction of our 6.1 and 11km trails, I decided on turning left and doing the longer one. I normally let Oscar off the lead here but I thought I would leave him on. Just in case any strange dogs ran out of the shadows I wanted to be in control of the situation.

At the wetlands I was ahead of my normal time. Said g'day to some kids who were sitting on the bridge doing God knows what then turned right heading for home.

On the sandy path following the main road the sky's finally opened up. I don't think Oscar was too impressed about running in the rain but I was loving it. I had read before on Coolrunning about others experience with running in the rain and I was keen to try it. I got absolutely soaked. My cotton singlet was sopping wet and heavy so I took it off and went topless for the last couple of k's. Me with my shirt off and running is not a good look but it was nearly 2am and it felt so cool.!

Time was a bit off my PB , 11km in 56:50 minutes. I don't know exactly where I lost time. Somewhere in the last 5km I think.

I am out with the CFA for two nightshifts tonight and tomorrow. Heading out to the Moondarra Fire Complex with a composite crew from Narre Warren and Officer brigades. We have to assemble at Pakenham at 5:30pm then bus to Moondarra about 1 hour away. After the shifts end we will be bussed back home. This is unusual for Strike Team duty. Normally you get rested in motels but with this fire only an hour and a half away it is easier to send crews home to rest.

I am taking the camera tonight. Will try and update with pictures later.

1 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Running in the rain is great - but I'm not sure about the 1:00am start!

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home