Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Speed work

Steve Moneghetti writes a weekly column on the Run for the Kids website about training for this event. This week he wrote about introducing speed work into the regular routine. I figure if Mona is going to give advice about running it must be good.

I set out yesterday morning to the local footy oval. I worked out a 2km path to jog there for a warm up and get to the oval all ready to run. It was still before 8am and there was all ready a couple of people there walking laps. I planned on sprinting half the circumference of the oval then jog the other half. After doing a lap of that I brought my expectations down to doing quarter sprints, quarter jog. I thought after doing regular 10km runs I would be getting fitter but after 2 laps I was huffing, puffing and pretty exhausted. I completed another 2 laps then headed the 2km home at a slow pace trying to recover. I estimated I ran 5.5km in 27:09.

I can see I need improvement in this area and I did enjoy the change to the routine. I plan on using Tuesday mornings when practical for speed training with the view to doing an extra lap a week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

"I feel the need, the need for speed" and then high-fives.

That's a quote from a Tom Cruise movie (can't think of the name at the moment - air force, planes, flying...)

Intervals and speed sessions are certainly different.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

That would be "Top Gun". An 80's classic.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home