Sunday, February 05, 2006

A long slow run

I set off for Lysterfield Lake Park early this morning for a long slow run.

I arrived just after 8:30am and after I consulted a map I set off for the 16.2km return via the Churchill National Park and the Trig Point lookout.

The first 30 minutes was fairly pleasant. Jogging along at a slow pace just enjoying the woodlands and scenery. I spotted two kangaroos, technically three. One had a baby joey with her. I stopped to take a pic with my camera-phone but they were a bit too far away.

The course started to get a little steeper. As Steve Moneghetti had wrote that it was ok to walk a little on the slow, long run, I pushed myself until it got too steep then allowed myself to walk the last 80 meters.

I wasn't at the top of the hill yet. Just a crest before it leveled out for about 800 meters. Then the final 500 meter ascent up a access trial to the summit.

It was a great view at the top. I could see many of the surrounding suburbs, Narre Warren, Rowville and even Port Phillip Bay in the distance. I stopped for a little to have a drink and to get my breath back.

There was a sign post pointing Churchill Park as another 3.1km away, 6.1km back to my car. I started off toward Churchill Park but the road became VERY steep! I could see no end of it and the thought of having to run/walk back up the hill left me with dread.

I decided to leave Churchill National Park and the 16.2km for another day. Turning around I ran back to my car. It was all downhill and very enjoyable. There was a lot of Mountain Bike riders about and I started to pass some other runners heading to the summit.

I was surprised and thrilled when one of the runners called out "Go Coolrunner!" (I was wearing my CR cap). This hasn't happened to me before and I am hoping I may have been finally spotted and posted here.

Back at the car I calculated I traveled about 12.5 kilometers in 1 hour 20 minutish (I forgot to pause my watch on the summit). Not too bad for a slow run.

On the way home I stopped in at Bunnings for lawnmower fuel and Whipper Snipper cable. Finished off the rest of the day cutting grass and weeding in the garden.

To say I am a little sore right now is an understatement. But probaly not as sore as Tesso. What a legend!

6 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

Sounds like such a nice run, but tough! Pity the roos wouldn't hang around for the photo shoot though.

Thanks for the messages on my blog. I'm not too sore today, tomorrow will be worse. But its worth it!

9:11 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice run Sparks and congrats on getting spotted ;-)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, good run Spark Driver; nice, isn't it when you spot some of the local fauna! I also see the occasional kangaroo cross the track.

But having to mow the grass after....that's heroic! Hope all is going well for the bub-to-be & mum!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh god! Sorry! I got you mixed up with Shane Lewis! The new bub will be theirs, not yours!! unless of course, I can predict things to come??

Sorry if I gave you a dreadful fright!

11:48 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

No Bubs around here. Unless you know something I don't??

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow 12km - you will blitz the run for the kids - next up, the half, eh?? (*teasing*)

alisonjc

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home