Thursday, February 02, 2006

Running at the Zoo

A couple of months ago I received a mail out inviting me to enter in the Melbourne CitySports Super Sunset Series. Melbourne CitySports were running three races at 4 or 8km. They are being held at the Melbourne Zoo, Princess Park and The Tan. Last night I ran in the one being held at the Melbourne Zoo.

Yesterday it seemed to rain all day. I was regulary checking the Melbourne CitySports webpage for cancellation before I headed off to catch a train to the city.

At Flinders St I had to catch another train to the Zoo. To my utter frustration that one was delayed by 10 minutes. I can find my workplace so disappointing when I am using it as a commuter.

The rain had eased up when I got to Royal Park, I joined the queue to pick up my very cool, grey and purple T-shirt, race number 315 and race pack.

I spotted other Coolrunners around. Alisonjc and I introduced ourselves and spent some time chatting. She has dared me to enter the Melbourne Half Marathon and I think I will take her up on it. She then introduced me to Stu Mac, Eat 'Em, Tiger Boy, Downunder Runner and Go4it.

The race started 30 minutes later than advertised. People were still queuing up to register at the official start time.

We started off very bunched up. I was going faster than normal just trying to find a clear spot. 700 meters into the race and we had a large uphill section, the group started to thin out a little then. I could see Go4it's Coolrunning cap bobbing away in the distance so I set out to reel her in.

About 1.5km the course turned into the Zoo. It was fantastic scenery. Running through the Rainforest, elevated monkey bridge, down past the lions and back out again. The police had the traffic stopped on Oplar rd then we ran around the ninth hole of the Royal Park golf course. Crossing over Oplar rd again we pass through the starting gate.

I was thrilled to see my first lap of 4km done in 20 minutes and I was getting closer to Go4it. I pushed on again up the hill then caught up to her at the entrance too the Zoo.

With no room for overtaking till we got out of the monkey enclosures I passed Go4it at the 6km point and gave her a thumbs up.

The next 1.5kms I started to feel the effort I had put in at the start of the race. I had forgotten about Go4it till she passed me with 500 meters to go telling me to hurry up. I pulled the extra effort from somewhere and kept up, finishing right behind her at 40:03.

I am pretty happy with my 8km's in 40 minutes. Without the extra push at the end I'm sure I would have been a bit longer than that.

I looked out for Alisonjc at the finish line but didn't see her. As there is only and hourly train service out to my place I set off before the presentations started.

Thanks to all the Coolrunners at the event for your encouragement. My investment in a CR cap has been very worthwhile.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

Congrats on the great run! It sounds like a fantastic course - the zoo and a golf course!

Isn't it terrific that we can be a little competitive yet encourage eachother to do our best. Ya gotta love this running caper!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Nice race! Should be very motivating to be close to so many events as you do have in Australia.

You know? I ordered the R4YL magazine, I'll tell you when it arrives, I am so much looking forward to see something from aussie-land.

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home