Monday, January 30, 2006

Two runs in one day.

I suppose the title could be a little misleading. I actually ran to the fire station from home yesterday, stayed for about two hours than ran home. Not technicaly two runs, but it felt like it to me.

My brigade is 4.1km from home. I can stretch that out to 5.5km with a detour as I did on Sunday morning. I had planned on a 8km forward journey, but I had to be there by 9:30am and had left it a little late. From my place you follow a main road. The footpath surface changes from concrete, to red sand and then back to concrete. Around 3km you have a short up hill section followed by a steep down hill. That levels out flat till I arrive in the fire station. My forward journey took me 27:46 minutes.

With our brigade the members are divided up into four duty crews. The four crews take turns each week to clean the station, perform weekly truck checks or any other equipment checks as required. This Sunday was my crews turn. On arrival I did some stretches and started to cool down. When my sweating had slowed down a little I preceded to clean the floors. We can park three trucks and the ute in station so I got a good arm workout sweeping and mopping the vinyl tiled floor.

My sanity usually gets questioned when I run to the station. We are all volunteers at Narre Warren and sadly, compared to our career firefighter colleges, our fitness is treated rather lightly. When I show up all red faced, puffing and sweating profusely I tend to get a bit of a ribbing. It is all in good humor and I can dish out a sh*t stir as good as the next person.

After all the duties have been completed, I politely refuse all the offers of a lift, and head off for home. After 2km's on the flat the steep down hill turns into a steep, long, uphill!! I puff away and run on, really feeling the burn in my legs and determined not to walk. I am pretty pleased when I get home to find that I have shaved 20 seconds of my forward time, getting back in 27:28.

I bought my first copy of Run For Your Life the other day and was impressed with the running magazine. Even for a relative newbie like me I found it interesting reading. In particular the Pat Carroll running group article. I wish they where in Melbourne. Reading about the Deeks and the '82 Commonwealth Games Marathon left me inspired.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hilda said...

Cool site, with kangaroo photos!!
Great job running at 1am what an excitement!!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

With a two hour break in-between I'd be counting as two runs for sure! And doing it like that seems much harder than a single run.

Pat's group sure is great, joining up was the best thing I've done in over 20 years of running.

10:54 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice run Sparks - great that you shave 20 seconds off your time - always a great feeling - well done ;-)

2:49 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Yeah, that's two runs in my book. Congrats on shaving 20 seconds, they all count.

10:15 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Running late at night is great,all quiet and peaceful.And the late night to get ready for night shift is one of my tactics too.I guess "...only a shiftworker knows the feeling"...lol.
Congrats on your new pb it must be a good feeling?

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home