Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Tan

Today at work I had a 1 and a half hour meal break so I went for a long planned lap of The Tan.


(Excuse my very poor line. I'm new at this Google Earth thing)

I started the watch when I left Flinders St Station and turned left down Flinders St. Turning left again at Queens Bridge I crossed the Yarra River then turned up into Southbank. The promenade was very busy and I spent a lot of time dodging and weaving through the crowds. Eventually I broke out into the clear and climbed the stairs up to St Kilda rd.

St Kilda rd seen even more crowds. There was a free festival in the gardens and people seemed to be milling around everywhere. I love seeing Melbourne alive with the Games at the moment but it does make it hard when you want to get around.

I eventually crossed the road and found The Tan track. I have only run on this course once before and that was part of the Olympic Dream run. That race went over The Tan anti-clockwise and I repeated it today. I seemed to be the only one going in that direction and I figured clockwise is best to get the full benefit of the Anderson St hill.

I only did one circuit then headed back to Flinders St. There is tight security at work at the moment so I have to don my ID lanyard over my sweaty top to gain access back into the building.

I have measured out my route on Google Earth and reckon it is about 6.3km. I completed it today in 0:32:20.

I would have liked to have done two laps but I had to save some time to freshen up before going back to work. Now I know what I am doing and where I am going I will aim for two laps next time.

Tomorrow the family and I are heading back into the City to cheer on the marathon runners. We are planning to set up on St Kilda rd, just before the half way mark, then head back to Federation Square to watch the finish on the big screen.

Looking forward to a great day out then back to work in the evening.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

hey Spark, those paths look great!

We are lucky here too, almost 500 km of dedicated paved running paths/bike trails in the city. And then alot of cross country trails too.

2:51 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice work Sparks - you gotta love those long lunches ;-)

10:19 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Must agree with Alsoran that the marathon was awesome!

Surprisingly as i live in Wollongong i can't believe i've run the Tan more times than you!

Lovely run but all those people whineing about the Anderson st hill have no idea what a hill is.

You should check out where Kerryn McCann trains near my house ...actually i have a photo somewhere that i will post if you like?
Wish i knew how to use google earth.

Anyhow glad your enjoying your runs and i can see your really improving so keep it up!

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home