Thursday, March 09, 2006

6 Foot Track

A surprising mixed reaction to my goal of competing in a Six Foot Track marathon. Even my lovely wife thinks I've gone completely mad.

Is it just other runners personal preference of road races over cross country events, or have bitten off more than I can chew?

I must admit that when I first looked up the Six Foot Track website it left me feeling very inspired. Raising money for the local Rural fire Service is something that also appeals to me. Made me think that one day, if I'm ever good enough, I could run in the event.

I know that my 15km running non-stop is a long way from a marathon but this time last year I couldn't even run 5km! With time and training I think I would be able to complete a marathon. Maybe not Six Foot by 2007 but one day who knows?

A friend of mine is having a birthday get together tomorrow. He has hired a bus and about 12 of us will be going to the pub for lunch. Completing a round of golf. Then heading out on the bay for a fishing charter. Because I don't drink, and have a truck license I will be driving the bus. I haven't played golf for 10 or so years and I wasn't any good at it back then either. Still I've borrowed a mates golf clubs, already lost a ball over the neighbors fence and am quite excited and looking forward to the day.

Look out for a fishing/golf report soon.

9 Comments:

Blogger Simlin said...

Wow, I was just thinking the same thing as you after viewing the 6ft website. I'm targetting 2008 at the moment. 1/2 marathons this year, Marathons next year then the 6ft 2008! Now that is going to take some serious training.

8:50 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Mate of course you could - all you need do is increase your long run by 10% each week up to about 34k and over time chuck in some hills - oh yeah and qualify, but with the pace you have been running in training I don't think that would be too onerous.

But PLEASE NO golf reports ;-)

9:22 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Thats it Sparks of cause you can do it! Its just like 2P says increase your long run and remember most people walk the hills in 6' anyway i've been told!

Also we can compare notes its only 52 weeks away!!

CHEERS R2B

8:15 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

I have every confidence that you can work your way up to the marathon, and then 6ft. GO FOR IT!!!

Meanwhile enjoy the golf and the fishing. Hope you manage to sneak a run in there somewhere.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Carolyne said...

Yep, Go for It SD!

Goals are what make running especially satisfying, they are personal, achievable an only you can know what it takes.

Having withdrawn from this year's 6FT (a very sensible decision), I know that it will be there in future.

Enjoy your weekend.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Of course, you'll do it, Spark Driver! Make your decision now & have that as your goal for the next 12 months...if I can run an ultra marathon, so can you! Now I'll just have to keep checking on you!!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Should be a walk in the (National) park by the time 2007 comes around mate. A few laps of the Capital City Trail and a couple of times around Churchill and it's yours!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Everyone has a start, inspiration is an important part, just train and go on!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

A great goal to aim for SD and certainly achievable if you set your mind to it!

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home