Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Equipment trouble

I normally run in bike shorts. Sure they are a little tight and revealing but they stop my thighs from chaffing and causing a lot of discomfort. The tights have been good and I haven't looked back until my group run on Sunday. When standing with new acquaintances I felt very self conscious when I noticed how much they resembled a pair of Buggy Smugglers. After losing some weight (under 100 kilo's for five days now woohoo) I felt it was time to go the running shorts.

Yesterday In Melbourne I went sports store shopping (I like to wander around Rebel "just looking"), and ended up buying a pair of Asics high cut shorts. Last night I wore my new shorts around the house, having dinner and watching TV and they felt great.

So this morning Oscar and I set out for our 15km run. The shorts were great initially but after 3km the chaffing came back. I pushed on baring the pain for another 4km then, to my utter frustration, I had to call the run short and run/walk the next 1.5km home. Ended up doing around 8.5km in 0:53:15.

I'm kind of at a loss at what to do next. I'm thinking some product like Bodyglide may be the answer. But after telling my wife how inexpensive running is ("all you need are runners and go for it") I seemed to have racked up bills of over $400. Sure a lot of that are the $215 Asics Kayanos but I don't really want to buy more stuff now may not work for me or I don't need.

5 Comments:

Blogger Louise said...

I was about to add exactly the same comment - try the bike shorts under the running shorts.

There was a thread on CR about the chaffing problem a while ago too - and a search finds quite a few links (which I couldn't be bothered going through). Some brands work better than others.

good luck.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

I use bike shorts under my Brooks shorts for anything over 1hr these days. Seems to work for me although I guess it does look pretty daggy... nothing worse than that sting in the shower awfterwards!

1:48 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Hey Sparks - the cheapest effective method is Amolin (baby cream stuff).

K-Mart is the cheapest for running shorts.

I think there is some Scottish blood in me somewhere :-)

But in any event NEVER confess to the good wife exactly how cheap running is ;-)

4:39 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

I can't get by without my Bodyglide or Sports Shield. Neither are bad value really when you consider how much use you get out of them.

10:03 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Sparks the shorts over bike shorts is quite a trendy look where im from!
Dont be self conscious its a waste of time...for years i never wore a singlet because i was sooo self conscious when i could have been out there sooner!

Now do you feel better looking running under 100kg or worse?I suspect your answer will guide the way.

ps how often has the wife remarked how much fitter you look these days?
The money you spend on running is trivial compared to the benefits...tell her your thinking of quiting because its too expensive and see what she says?

Cheers r2b

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home