Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Oscar misses out

I set off for my 20.8km run this morning. I got home in 1:46:54 absolutely exhausted and feeling a little dried out. I may have to pay more attention to my hydration needs before setting out for a long run.

As my post title suggests Oscar missed out on this run today. My wife and I have decided that he really isn't designed the best for half marathon distance. Being so little he burns a lot of energy on the long run and we are having trouble keeping him from getting so skinny. So I think that Oscar will be restricted to the fun run distance from now on.

We walked the kids to school this morning and I set off for my run on the way home. Apparently Oscar wasn't too impressed watching me run off but he soon got over it. He was just happy to be out for a walk.

The added bonus of leaving Oscar home is that I can now run on the road without being concerned about the dog getting near cars. On my last big run I was restricted to the nature strip with no identifiable path, worrying about twisting my ankle on a hidden pot-hole. This morning I felt like a real runner, running on the verge of the road facing the on coming traffic. I may have to look into getting a high visibility top for better safety.

Due to my rotating shiftwork I'm going to try to make Wednesday mornings the day for a long run.

6 Comments:

Blogger Wobbly man said...

Wow, that's a great time for a training run there Sparky! Poor Oscar - how far is he allowed to go? 15k is still fun run distance.

8:51 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Might I suggest a CR Tri Top for Winter - it would stick out - well er - like Oscars you know whats....

Very comfy too ;-)

11:22 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

You are shelving Oscar?! Feed him a steak!

7:21 AM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Great run, you're becoming an old timer at this long distance stuff. When will the ultra's start.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I've bookmarked your blog for future reference. I've been on a running blog hunt and found yours through superjacent and it's really good to read about people doing similar things.

I've recently started running under 50mins for the 10km and am looking at my first half marathon later in the year which seems to be at a similar stage to you.

Cheers

10:19 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Well on the bright side little Oscar will have a nice rest from the mammoth amount of training your doing!You are going to smash this race mate!

Having the long one on a Wednesday is a good idea for a shiftworker because weekend time is precious!

Cheers R2B

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home