Sunday, April 30, 2006

20.5km and the treadmill

As promised I went out again for my 20.5km long run on Friday. I completed it in 1:45:28. I may have to look at finding a system to carry water with me. Sal is worried about my white lips after I get home from the long run. I think it is due to the lack of fluids I take while running.

Last night at work I spent some time on the treadmill. Completed 7.7km jogging and sprinting in 43 minutes. This workout always seems to get out a good sweat. Also may have helped with the stiffness I usually feel after the long run.

That brings my kilometres this month to 169km. A bit lower than I would have liked but I think the taper I imposed before the Run for the Kids may have been a little excessive. The week leading up to that race I only did 5km on a treadmill and I think that has affected my monthly total.

2P asked "is "defiantly" a typo?" Yes, defiantly was definitely a typo. Definitely is one of those words I have trouble spelling at different times. It doesnt help when the spellchecker tells me that 'defiantly' is spelled correctly.

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Sal maybe right about the fluids. I think with 20+ km runs water intake during your run (and after) is prudent. You might not feel thirsty but that's not the criteria for water intake.

So you do your long runs on Friday's while most of us do them on the weekends usually Sunday. Hey, each to their own.

At least your cranking up the k's.

8:29 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Hey Typo or not - I still reckon it read better ;-)

Yeah in Summer I take water on anything over 5k and in Winter anything over 10k.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Eeek, no water? I myself hate carrying it and have just started as I'm slow and man I'm out there forever somedays...I should really pack a picnic lunch too. I have a small camelback backpack style for biking that I like...and then I have a waist pack supreme that was abit odd at first, but I am getting use to it now, and since I run alone most of the time, I have room for ID, cell phone, etc...I can send you a link to both for you to check out if you like.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Sekhmet said...

I have a fuel belt (same brand) which is great - really comfortable, I highly recommend it and wouldn't be without for the long runs now. It's even pretty easy to get the water bottle out to drink from when running and doesn;t bounce around.

6:15 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

You can get a "camelback" generic for around $25 at a camping store and it will carry about 1.5 litres of fluid.

Weigh your self before and after a long run (wiping off sweat etc) to see how much weight (fluid) you have lost be sure to subtract any water you have drunk on the run.

Personally i found that after i started to drink on the run i felt much better at the end.With a "camelback" you won't have to stop running you can just sip as you go.

You should not lose any more than a few percent of bodyweight before you running is effected.

Cheers R2B

Ps getting Xray today.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

My fuel belt is probably my best running investment ever. If you do get one I'd recommend one that takes at least four bottles. They don't cost much more. The way I look at it you just use as many bottles as you feel you'll need at the time. I often run with just one, and sometimes none as I put my iPod in the front pouch :-)

If you plan to do trails or long runs where taps aren't available then a Camelbak is the go. There are so many different kinds though, I made sure I got one that was recommended for running and not just cycling.

Good luck with it all.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home