Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Annual Leave 2007

This week I have started my 9 monthly, 4 week annual leave cycle (woohoo).

To celebrate 4 weeks off work, I set off at 6am this morning for a gut busting, local 10km run. I completed the 10.1km circuit in a blistering PB time of 0:47:18!

The PB did come at a price. It wasn't till too late that I discovered that I had a toenail that needed cutting. No major damage, but I think that one will be black by morning.


I have been following with interest Coolrunning's Digger and his 3:45 Marathon plan and it was with his words in my head that pushed me on to focus at sub 5 minutes for all my 1km laps. This morning with an average pace of 4:39 the mission was accomplished.

I have discovered that I need a minus 4 hour marathon time to qualify for 6 Foot in 2008. Currently my best (and only) is 4:13. With a bit of work and focus sub 4 hours seems very achievable.

With the run this morning, plus 3 runs from last week including a 13.2km, a 11.3km and a 10km, my Run to Rockhampton total brings me to Kyeamba, a small farming community in the central east part of the Riverina.

Kyeamba has a a population within a 7 kilometre radius of approximately 1427 people and according to Wikipedia it has no stores or significant public buildings in the area.

Next week I will try to stop somewhere more interesting.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ruune said...

Ouch, that toe looks sore. Sometimes when I am running I imagine that my feet are bleeding because that would be an excuse for me to feel like they are sore. But they never are.

12:20 PM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

Euuuwww- nasty. Good luck with the new marathon goal.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

With an effort like that this far out you'll have no problem getting way below 4 hrs on your next attempt.

By the way nice tiling job!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

I agree with Scott. I you can run 10k in 47mins that sub 4 hours is yours. So just imagine how sub you can go with some more training.

Will it be Melbourne Marathon you do?

8:54 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That is interesting. I remember the Kyeamba Smith Hall at the Wagga Show.

Yes, as Scott and Tess have said, speed is not a problem. All you need are the long runs (30+) and mid-week semi-long (16-23).

9:00 PM  
Blogger Lil-Biker-Bub said...

ainah!!!! whew man. watch the toenails :)

i have just started running again. though my ankle is very weird now. hmmm. we run all on the grass and i think my shins appreciate it

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nasty toe, I've had a few of them over the years. I reckon you'll easily do a sub 4 hr marathon, hard work, but easily do it.

4:38 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

EEEWWWWWWWW!!
You are working so consistently that a sub-4 seems almost inevitable (not wanting to call the running gods down on you!).
Enjoy your holiday and the R$TK in Sunday - that was one of your first big ones last year, it will be a huge contrast this year :)

6:16 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

4hrs should be just about in the bag mate.Get that endurance up and the speed is already taken care of.

Happy Trails R2B

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spark Driver,

My 10 km PB before my first marathon in 2006 was 45 min ... ran a 3.58 marathon but with an injuried back that meant I almost crawledthe last 7 kms. You will be fine for sub 4

Six Foot in 2008 - here you come...

See you Sunday ...

Eat Em

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home