Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Back to the Future

I have just spent the last few days re-reading my Blog entries to see where I went wrong.

I am now back to 106 kilograms and I feel FAT! My running has slacked off to 55 kilometres in June and a very piss poor 29 kilometres in July.

A lot of the past couple of months inactivity I blame on poor weather, laziness and a little bit of fear.

I was frightened that after a week of not running turned into two weeks, then three, I would not be able to get back to my run "10km's all the way benchmark".

Fortunately though I did keep a little active by infrequent fartlek session on the treadmill at work, and a recent participation in the Walking School Bus program at my kids school.

In the last couple of weeks I have managed to get three outdoor runs to re-build my confidence. A 10.8km lap of the Yarra River and 'The Tan' completed in 58:53. A 10km local run that took 54:39 and this mornings dawn run over an old 10km route that was completed in 55:30.

Even though I have slowed down from being out of form and carrying extra weight I can still manage to run 10km's without stopping.

After reading my blog I seemed have made alot of excuses after the 2006 Melbourne Marathon. Maybe I wasn't quite ready for this event but it did bring a tear to my eye reading that post again.

I have an entry in the 10km Defence Lake Attack, that was bought as a birthday present from a friend, and I will be lining up for that event toward the end of the month.

The Melbourne Marathon will not be happening for me this year but the Half could be a possibility, if I get organised and trained up in time that is.

I don't think I will reach my goal of 2000km's in 2007 but I will try to calculate how far I have been. The website I use, www.mapmyrun.com doesn't like the long distance I have traced out and I will have to look at another distance recording method.

Now a special thank you thank you thank you to those that hadn't lost faith and kept visiting my blog while I was being slack. Your comments that popped up in my email every now and then certainly prodded my guilty conscience and helped keep me honest. I know how easy it is to forget about someone when they haven't Blogged for awhile and I appreciate you giving me a prod in the ribs every now and then. Thank You!!

Please be patient as I look forward to catching up on your Blogs and adventures over the next few days.

19 Comments:

Blogger LBTEPA said...

Hurray! You're back! You know what I think happened? You tried to hurry your growth into an endurance athlete. Take your time this time and view the whole thing as a long-term (2-5 year) project - not easy I know especially since you were so successful last year - but maybe if you tried to see your running as though it was somethign you were going to do for the next 40 years you would feel better about how you're going. I think it's really important to NOT compare yourself with last year so you don't get discouraged. 2007-8 is Sparkdriver 2.0. Patience - and welcome back again! BTW Why not have a crack at the father's day 5km? I'll be walking it v slowly as I commence alisonjc 2.0

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey stranger, good to see you back.

Looking forward to catching up with what's been happening with you while you've been away.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! You're back! And I have to say that I love LBTEPA's comment, which I completely agree with.

But SD, you also have to consider that though you've had a couple of lower mileage months there's many miles behind you that still count. I mean, you can still run 10k in a nifty time... and whoever that friend is that signed you up for an event, good on 'em, that'll probably do wonders for the motivation :o)

Really glad to have you back SD :oD

B.

1:36 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

the motivation stuff on this link is really good!

http://zenhabits.net/2007/02/top-20-motivation-hacks-overview/

1:40 PM  
Blogger Louise said...

hey, welcome back. Your body doesn't forget all those miles; just take it easy and enjoy the journey.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

You're alive! Thought you might have got locked up in the Mittagong gaol. At least try and get somewhere up the north NSW coast by the end of the year.

Yes, go for the Melbourne Half. I'm running it. See you there!

8:12 PM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

I missed you Sparkie! Glad you are back. Hope that I will see you at the Melbourne Half this year!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Simlin said...

Imagine my surprise when I open bloglines and Whamo! SPARKDRIVER is BACK BABY!

Welcome back M8! (that is the cool kids way of saying mate :) )

3:37 PM  
Blogger Jadey said...

You were certainly far from forgotten. I know the feelings you are going through. wishing you the very best of luck hun!

Have been meaning to ask you some questions about becoming a sparkdriver. Dad has been looking without any luck and no one seems to have the answers.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Welcome Back. I was worried that you might have fought your last wild fire.

can't wait to read of your next adventures.

pat

5:33 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Hey Damian,

It's all right,don't let the fear of being not as good as you would like to be hold you back!

When you think it out it's just silly!

You have come so far,get back to running because you enjoy it and when its cold and you can't be bothered rug up and get out there anyway!

I had a fortnight with just one 4km run and i felt crap!\
next run you guessed it i felt crap again but soon you get past that and your back in the swing!

Your body can do amazing things if you don't let your head get in the way.(example my 50 with DK!)

Best wishes and i will be checking in,
Adrian

11:52 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Once a runner, always a runner. You will be back in full flight before you know it :-)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just keep getting back up, Spark Driver, & start all over again! Doesn't mater how often you "fall over" as long as keep getting back up again. I'll check back here (without you knowing how often!) to see how you're going!

I'm doing the Melbourne marathon in October...see you around somewhere!

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on ya SD.

Hope to see you at an up coming event. Check the calandar there's plenty on to motivate you.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, hopefully I'll catch you around the traps. I reckon the Melbourne Half is still a goer, you have time.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Walking school bus sounds great :)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I'm glad you're back - good luck. Looking forward to hearing about your exploits.

I went through my own panic attack about running recently, so I certainly sympathise with you. It wasn't until I eased up on myself and started running for fun again that I turned it around.

I'm sure you'll get your enthusiasm back in no time.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, welcome back.

Don't dwell on the last couple of months, just ease yourself back into it and you'll wonder why you ever stopped.

Take it easy, rebuild and enjoy yourself.

:-)

8:31 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

So hows it going?

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home